The Pedestrian | Teen Ink

The Pedestrian

By monicaA.=-P GOLD, Morris Plains, New Jersey
monicaA.=-P GOLD, Morris Plains, New Jersey

The world changesw from the gentle day,to the dark,misty, suspicious night.
A pedestrianstops to rest undet the streetlight. He is wearing baggy jeans and his faded green hat is worn and dirty. The street is dark except undcet the streetlight that buzzes ominously in the silence. Not many cars pass. It's late now. The sun's long gone and it's overcast.
A foreboding scene.

The pedestrian takes off his hat and fans himself with it. It's a hot night and he's beenwalking for a long time in the humidity. He looks up at the night sky, then peers around suspiciously into the darkness. Someone is watching him. And if something...suspicious were to happen, the silent,breathless night would overwhelm it. Nobody would know. The lights in the house across the street finally go out. A pickup truck pulls out of the driveway. The neighbor is off to work. Nobody seems to be watching. But what if someone is following the pedestrian? What if he doesn't make it home? What if someone can tell that he's afraid? The pedestrian puts his hat back on and conitnues on walking. He's not stopping again...

directorchick419 GOLD, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania

"I'd wanted to stay on that porch with him until the sun shone bright on both of us, but i didn't. I stood up and walked down the steps. I'd rather chase the sun than wait for it." from I am the Messanger by Markus Zusak.

it felt a bit like stage instructions for a play, but the ending was chiling. The reader's mind will always fill in something more horrific than you could describe. good choice leaving it open ended

AMAZING!!! SERIOUSLY: if i didn't know any better I'd thought a famous author wrote that! PROFESSIONAL!!!

emieLUV1023 said...
Oh my God, that was a great story, I hope your story kicks butt, it was really great!!!

Anita22 said...
Monica, wow the story you wrote already gave me creepy! But I want to know what happens! Congrats on being published... Good luck!

Anissa said...
Awesomeness!!!! i love it and i remember u read this in LAL. Keep it up and make a movie with me! =-D

I love it! And congrats on this being published, your such a great writer and you should shoot for your dream. I love your stories and i like this one too. Its eerie and this is what would scare me.... =-)

luckydog said...
i liked this...i wonder what will happen next?! good story!

liz said...
OMG you did it.I am so proud of you.Remind me not to walk the streets alone at night I won't be able to stop looking over my shoulder. I look forward to reading your next story. Congrats

Adams mom said...
Monica, Congratulations! Great story. Keep up the good work.

LaLa said...
Monica, Great job on this and congrats on being published! The scene you paint is eerie and I wouldn't want to be that pedestrian... very creepy! Keep up the good work