Swimming in jeans | Teen Ink

Swimming in jeans

September 25, 2008
By liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments

“Hey Max, it’s me Lauren. It’s been awhile. I just wanted to see how you’re doing. Call me back soon, ‘kay? Just in case you don’t have my number, it’s 364-2957. Talk to you later.”

I hung up pressing the red “END” button, and my hands wouldn’t stop shaking. It’s funny how it’s in the middle of May and I sudden feel so cold. I wasn’t mad that he didn’t pick up. Truthfully, I sort of expected that to happen. It’s been a little over year since Max and I stopped talking to each other. I can still recall that day like a film without sound. It seemed like yesterday, the kind that lasted forever. It’s the kind that will give you nightmares for just thinking about it. I threw my phone on my bed and went to take a shower.

I waited all exactly five hours and thirty seven minutes for him to call me back. It was dinner time when I decided to give up. Maybe we’re better off this way, I don’t know. A part of me wants to let go, and the other wants to keep on trying. He was supposed to be my best friend, and friends can’t bail on each other. The more I think about it, the more my head aches. I went to the fridge and made myself a peanut butter and honey sandwich. My stomached told me not to. I had this feeling that I couldn’t eat a PBH without Max. This is what we normally eat whenever there’s “nothing” in the refrigerator. I took about two bites and went off to bed.
“I’m totally serious Rennie, you won’t regret this. Trust me.” Max said giving me his two hundred watt smile.
“What if we get caught?” I said frowning, hoping he would just change his mind.
“Then your parents will ground you forever, and forbid you to hang out with the coolest guy on earth ever again. Then your cell phone will be taken away, which means you can’t text anyone. Then your computer will be taken away, and you can’t go on facebook. And then…”
“Alright, that’s enough. It’s not funny.” I said. “Fine.”
“So are you in?” he asked, knowing that he just won the conversation.
“What the heck, it’ll be fun.”
“Now we’re talking.”

We both snuck out of the cabins that night. It was really dark and we both had on jeans. It was the last night at camp. Max wanted to do something he would remember for the rest of his life and he made me join him. Fortunately, Max brought a flash light. But the sad thing is, the boy “forgot” to change the battery. We managed to locate the pool and climbed over the fence. I pulled my calf muscle that night. Naturally, Max was the first one in the pool. I had on my cami, and I jumped in. The water felt like heaven. It was so warm. There was something about swimming in the dark that made it so much fun. There was a light coming in our direction. Luckily, Max pulled me into the corner, and then he went under water. The camp counselor missed us. We were free for the night.

The bon fire was my idea. By the time we got the fire started, we were dry. I used Max’s shirt to dry my hair and he thanked me for making it smell better. We sat on the deck wishing that camp would never end.
“I can’t believe I just did that, Maximus. But I’m glad you talked me into it.” I said punching him in the arm.
Max laughed. “I told you that you won’t regret it.”
We joke around and threw rocks into the fire for a little while watching it burn for awhile. “Oh mu gosh, what time is it?”
Max shrugged. “It’s time for you to get a watch! Just kidding, um 3 AM?”
“I have to go!” I said putting on my wet Rainbows.
“You are such a fretter.” He laughed, and walked me to my cabin.


I was as sweaty as Mia Hamm after a soccer game when I woke up. The room was as hot as Texas in the middle of July. Max’s few last words were still ringing in my ears. “You are such a fretter…. You are such a fretter…” I slept through my alarm. It was about 1 PM when I woke up the next morning. Good thing it’s a Saturday. I drove to Pizza Hut and got two slices of Pepperoni and a bottle of Mountain Dew. I ended up eating half of a slice and all of the pepperoni. If Max was here, he would knock the pizzas out in less than five minutes. He can eat up to seven or eight slices, even more. I remember how much he loves Mountain Dew and Pizza. We used to sit at the park and watch ducks run around while filling our stomachs with pizza and soda. I usually eat his pepperoni and he would eat the cheese. But Max isn’t here, so that reminds me to only get one slice next time. I went home to take Mr. Vincenz out. Don’t ask me why I named my dog that, it was Max’s idea. He made sure it was spelled with a “z,” too. I think he heard that name on a movie or something, he said it sounded like a superhero for whatever reason. I got most of my homework out of the way. It’s been a pristine day so far so I decided to go for a run. Clearly, I did the best I could to save our friendship. I can’t just sit and wait for him forever. It’s time to move on. I put on some shorts and drove to the lake. I decided to leave my phone in the car because obviously, Max isn’t going to call me back.

I was exhausted when I got back to my car. I also got a new text message.
“If you still want to, meet me at the playground at our elementary school.” The message was sent ten minutes after I went jogging. If I went for an hour, that means he’s there already. Max is the on the spot kind of guy. If he doesn’t tell you the time, it means it’s right away. I threw on the pair of jeans I left in my car. I grabbed my keys and drove to the Samson Elementary school.

When I got there, it was extremely dark. I sat on top of the slide and waited. I heard footsteps coming from behind me. He had on tan shorts and a green and white striped shirt from Hollister. His hair was lighter and longer, and he was about four inches taller. His voice was deeper, and he was very tan.
“Some things never change. She’s always late.” Max said, and I laughed.
“I waited for you,” I said. “So you’re the one that’s late.”
“No, I got tired of waiting so I went and looked for food,” Max said, giving me a shrug.

He sat down beside me. “I got your message. I can’t believe how long it’s been.” He said.

“Are you happy?” I asked, staring into his brown eyes. I can feel the chills running up and down my spine.

“Josie and I broke up a long time ago. About a month after we stopped talking. She said I wasn’t the one for her.” Max’s words were trembling. “Lauren, I didn’t even see it coming. Things were working out so great. Then one day, she just decided to break my heart.” He talked one two miles a minute.

“I’m sorry, Maximus. I tried to warn you. You wouldn’t listen, remember? You pushed me out of your life. I was devastated,” I said to him.

Max laughed, “I haven’t heard that nickname in forever. You were the only one who can call me that. I used to get so mad, but then I learned to get over it as soon as I realized you were never going to stop.” He smiled.

There was something missing in his smile. There was an awkward silence and then I spoke up: “I loved you, you know.”

“So it was true. All the rumors people were spreading. I can’t believe you kept a secret away from me. Why?” Max’s words were shaky but it was getting stronger.

“Because, Max, loving you hurts worst than being stabbed by hundreds of knives at once. You’re an easy person to like but an impossible person to love. I was scared, okay? I would rather have you in my life as my best friend than not have you in it at all. Do you have any idea how much of an obnoxious person you are sometimes? You drove me nuts! But you know what? I fell in love with you, anyway. I fell in love with our friendship. The times we spent together, the times we got in trouble together. The crazy inside jokes we have. That was an accident that I never meant to happen. I spend fifty percent of my time thinking about you, and the other fifty percent on why!” Tears were rolling down my cheek, and for the first time since our fight, I found myself crying.

“All I remember is you telling me not to like Josie because you don’t think she’s good enough for me.”

“That’s right, Max. Josie will never be good enough for you.”

“Oh, and who is? You? Is that what you’re thinking? Well then, news flash, apparently she broke up with me. So I’m the one who’s not good enough for her.” He was aggravated.

“Please don’t talk like that, Max,” I said, trying to calm him. “You deserve much more than that. Josie doesn’t even know you. She doesn’t understand you. Josie can’t just look at you and know that something is wrong. She can’t look into your eyes and know that you’re hiding a secret. Josie doesn’t love you. You can lie to her all you want because you’re a splendid liar, and she’ll never know. So why are you wasting your time on someone like that? Most of all, Josie would never take a bullet for you, Maximus.” I said looking up the stars, then back into his dazzling brown eyes.

“I don’t know what to say anymore, Lauren.”

“Listen, Max. Forget about the past and just let things go. Give us a try. I want to be able to share everything with you again. I miss having you in my life. Every time I see you, it's like seeing light in the darkest cave. The feelings I have for you are like a baby wanting his mommy. The baby will do whatever it takes for his mommy to stay by his side. The baby needs her as much as he wants her. I need you and I want you as much as the baby and his mother. As much as the darkest cave needs light. Yes, even though loving you hurts a lot, it’s something I’m risking. I do hope you know that I will always be by your side. My hand is always open and available to hold yours and pull you close, even if you're not ready. You're the light that never fades and the smile that will never go away in my life. I love you, more than you could ever know. More than words can ever explain, more than anything. And I do hope, dear God, that you love me, too.”

He stared into my eyes for somewhat seem like a while. Then he stood up, and started to walk away.
“I guess that’s a no. I never thought it was possible anyway. You’re such a fruit loop!” I yelled after him.
Max laughed. “You are such a fretter.” He turned around and smiled. His teeth glistened in the moonlight. “I guess you’re not coming then.”
“What? Coming where?”
“Ah nothing, I just had something in mind, that’s all.” He said spinning his keys around with his left pointer finger.
“Max, what are you talking about? What do you have in mind?”
“Let’s go swimming.” Max finally allowed me to get in his mystifying head.
“In jeans?” I asked.
“Yes, in jeans.”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 29 comments.


on Apr. 4 2012 at 10:14 am
Zuccini75 BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder, than telling them yourself."
-Myself

FRUIT LOOP! haha, that was some really good writing - keep up the good work!

on Mar. 20 2012 at 7:39 pm
Perfect-Darkness GOLD, Kennebunk, Maine
19 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
One of the hardest things you'll ever have to do is to stop loving someone because they've stopped loving you.

OMG I loved it! I loved the ending, it was perfect. 

samwich7 said...
on Oct. 17 2011 at 3:18 pm
samwich7, No, New York
0 articles 0 photos 55 comments
OMG I love your work. This is the second article I've read of yours, you have an amazing talent. Can you maybe check out some of my work?

on Mar. 27 2011 at 8:00 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Wow, I felt like I was in her shoes. I was getting fustrated at Max for not being with Lauren. Awesome job at making your work relatable! Keep writing!

on Jul. 28 2010 at 6:15 pm
Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia
76 articles 0 photos 118 comments

Favorite Quote:
"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)

I love this! Your characters are very very lovable and easy to relate to! I like your style, and I'm gonna continue checking out your stuff.

DreamChild said...
on Apr. 9 2010 at 7:40 pm
AHH! this is MARVELOUS! don't ever stop writing! :)

on Mar. 30 2010 at 11:26 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments

aww thank you!
please read

"how did you know"

that's one of my favorites!


on Mar. 30 2010 at 11:00 pm
HeyAmanda SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
8 articles 0 photos 47 comments
loved it not even kidding i am offically a fan of your work!

on Feb. 24 2010 at 10:00 am
PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi
32 articles 0 photos 246 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

HaHa... The last convo was funny.... It was beautiful!!!! It's great to get a best friend back... especially when its a guy who you find yourself in love with!!! keep writing!!

Cow94 GOLD said...
on Oct. 15 2009 at 2:49 pm
Cow94 GOLD, Salmiya, Other
16 articles 3 photos 17 comments
This piece made me feel so....beautiful and happy.

Your work is amazing. =)

on Sep. 24 2009 at 7:34 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
thank you!!

I'm so glad you liked my story.

My newest one is "How did you Know"

so please check it out, if you wish! :)

I'm glad that this story was easy to follow and you understood the flashback portion of the story.

Wilsonm BRONZE said...
on Sep. 24 2009 at 6:26 pm
Wilsonm BRONZE, Jeannette, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
First, you used vivid details, it painted an extreamly clear picture in my head of exactly what was going on in the story. Also, starting off with the phone call really captures my attention with "Hey Max, it's Lauren..." Finally, the story was very easy to follow. When you said "..."to bed. "I'm totaly serious..."" I could easily see that you went into a flash back.

~blueroses~ said...
on Sep. 24 2009 at 5:34 pm
~blueroses~, Summerville, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 30 comments
It makes perfect sense! i think you are an amazing writer

on Sep. 23 2009 at 10:24 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
Hey guys! Thank you sooo much for the time you took to read these, sweet comments, the suggestions, and the ratings. Please feel free to be honest and tell me what you think.

I truly appreciate everything suggestion and encouragement you guys give me. It's very inspiring and it's so amazing to know you guys are supporting me.

Thank you for the support and please check out my other works if you haven't already. Ratings and comments would be wonderful.

And once again, thank you so much for the support. You guys make me smile!

on Sep. 23 2009 at 10:07 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
Yeah, I wrote this story when I was a little hurt from a little life experience. The story is more of like a fairy tale ending that only happens in my head. In real life it didnt happen like that though, I told my best friend that I love him and he wanted to stay friends and still wasn't over his ex... aka (Josie.. I changed the name though.)

But yeah, it was how I truly felt and I just combined it with the character I created and how I thought she would feel....

on Sep. 23 2009 at 10:04 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
Thank you soo much! There's no secret, really. I just pick up my pencil and close my eyes. I would try to imagine every detail I'm describing and try to include that in the story. I also try to avoid direct explanation. Like I won't tell you if this girl is blind straight out... I'll let you know through the text and explanation... does that make sense? That way it won't bore the reader.

:)

on Sep. 23 2009 at 10:02 pm
liltrinhle SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
8 articles 6 photos 37 comments
Aww! Thank you so much for your comment! It truly made me smile! I try to include details and imagery and feelings so that my readers can see and feel as if they are there or is that person. I'm glad you felt that way.

Right now I'm currently writing another story... so be sure to come back often! :)

~blueroses~ said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 6:45 pm
~blueroses~, Summerville, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 30 comments
All of your writing is amazing. I cant beleive how captivated i am when i read it. you're amazing! What's your secret?

-skye

Gabby said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 4:31 pm
WOW

I could never write anything as touching, capturing, descriptive, or incredible as that. I'm going to try to say this like a person who's as good at writing as you, "The words tasted delicious on my tongue as the words flowed out of my mouth and I saw the sights of the settings, spoke the words of Lauren, and felt my heart fill my chest so much I could hardly breathe, except in quick gasped, and my heart raced at the speed of a million horses as I felt feelings unknown to myself before I had heard Max's voice emerge from the pages. A moment when I felt pure romance fill my mind, my body, and took control of my very being, as I slowly crumbled into the chair at my desk under the weight of loving every word that flowed out of his mouth, his very voice." Technicly, Max is AWESOME, and sounds like a total drool-worthy guy. :) Keep up your riting, you'll overcome various obstacles in your life with such an incredible talent.

Fredwardness said...
on Sep. 14 2009 at 3:28 pm
I really love your writing, please keep wrinting, Chocolate for Emily is one of my favorites!!!