Today is the day | Teen Ink

Today is the day

By Autumn5100 PLATINUM, Islamabad, Other
Autumn5100 PLATINUM, Islamabad, Other

All good things must come to an end.

She lay awake on her bed with a persistent ache in her bones that was not there the night before. Despite the unnerving pain, she wearily pushed away the blankets from on top of her. With all the strength she could muster, she stumbled towards her husbands study where he sat grinning at his phone.

"What do you see when you look at me?" She whispered leaning against the door way.

"Hm?" He mumbled without shifting his gaze.

"WHAT DO YOU SEE WHEN YOU LOOK AT ME?" She screaming, loosing her balance and falling to her knees.

"...I see my wife" The man replied rolling his eyes as he began to walk towards her.

"NO!" She screamed again, this time gasping for breath. "DO NOT COME NEAR ME"

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" He screamed as his eyes welled up with anger.

"Every morning you used to kiss my lips and call me beautiful" She began crying. "You used to run your fingers down my cheek and gaze into my eyes. You used to grab me by the waist and capture me in your embrace. You used to see beauty in me. What do you see now?"

"Go back to bed" The man sighed.

"Im still that woman!" She cried pounding her fists on the ground.

"No, you are not." He scoffed, gritting his teeth. "I married a woman with beautiful red locks of hair, you are just a bald, weak, bitter hag."

"Dont say that..." She begged.

"I never want to touch your diseased hips"

"Dont.."

"I loved your beauty but now that that is gone, there is nothing left to love."

"I.." She began with her eyes clenched shut.

Before she could finish, she felt warm lips meeting her own. She opened her eyes to see herself back in bed with her husband smiling up at her.

"Hello beautiful" He whispered, running his fingers down her cheek.

She smiled back but her heart ached. Today was the day she would tell him about the cancer.

Today was the day.

What is your greatest fear?