Violet Fems | Teen Ink

Violet Fems

November 29, 2013
By Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California
Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but your child is on crack."


I’ve been in last place my whole life, but now it feels like I am in lost. Some kind of weird transition period in life. I don’t really know who I’m becoming, and I don’t really like anyone else. It’s hard to imagine a future when I have no real clue as to what is going on around me. I am just doing my best trying to follow my heart. If nothing else, happiness seems like a good enough destination.
Well, it’s not fair to say I’ve always lost. Although I did lose a lot, I did also win quite a few times. Some very good few times. Even now, a victory or two will occur. My most recent victory was befriending the totally sick and rad Violet, a classmate of mine who has purple in her hair and kindness in her heart. Victories can be great, but a loss always follows and friendship is a derailing rollercoaster.
Today in art class, I sat alone. Violet chose to break our habit today. I sat in our usual spot, in the back near the big windows, however, Violet sat on the opposite side of the classroom with Rider. Rider just got a new skateboard over the weekend and he was telling Violet all about it. His new board is indeed very rad and I am also interested in seeing it, but they did not invite me over.
Rider is a very nice guy. His eyes are like drops of tree sap, golden in the sun. I met him on the first day of school last year. He is Violet’s age, but he must have been held back a grade in the past because he is in my grade now. He is a very good skater and a very smart student, but he often seems lost in thought when he isn’t skating or working on classwork.
Even now he peers off staring into the corner of the room as Violet admires the skateboard on her lap under the table.
After class I did not hold anything against Violet and approached her as normal. The bell rang for passing period, so I met up with her as we exited our art class.
“Hey Violet, I’m so glad we don’t have any homework.” I tried to be as cool and casual as possible.
“Yea, ha-ha, that would’ve sucked.” She agreed as she adjusted her septum piercing.
We headed down the stairs and I followed Violet to her locker. Everything was fine and we discussed miscellaneous topics like TV shows and her annoying little brother. After stopping by her locker we headed in the same direction, but we were both headed to different classes. I have PE next and she has English so I walked her to her class on my way to mine.


The author's comments:
Friend Fiction i have begun to share with the world