Stranger | Teen Ink

Stranger MAG

By Anonymous

   I sit at a busy table in the middle of the room. The area is filled with laughter and conversation. I feel secure, important, with a sense of belonging. I look around and see a girl; she sits alone in the corner of the room. She hides behind long, heavy strands of dark brown hair, blocking her pale face. She turns her head and her eyes meet my stare. I quickly turn back to face the people who are crowded around me. I think for a moment and then turn for another look. She has already looked away. I study her and wonder if she feels alone. Is her mind full of things to say, but no one to tell them to? I hear my name called and leave my distant thoughts.

"What," I respond. "Did you say something?"

"Hey, are you listening to me?" my friend says before continuing her story.

"Yes," I reply, then drift back into my thoughts. The girl in the corner is a mystery to me. Has she had a normal life, or has she experienced things that I could only dream of? She could live down the road, or she could have traveled to many interesting places. She looks sad. Does she wish for a spot in the crowd, or is she satisfied living in her own mysterious world? I think how we could become friends. How we could share stories and learn from each others' experiences. We seem so different, yet something tells me we are a lot alike. I stand up and walk toward the girl.

"Where are you going?" my friend asks. I turn back toward the large group of people. "I wasn't finished with my story," my friend continues.

"I'm sorry," I say as I continue to walk toward this unfamiliar girl. I take another look at my surprised friends and realize I have left my comfort zone. I sit down in the empty desk next to this stranger and introduce myself. She looks questioningly at me and does not respond. I begin to wonder if I have invaded her space. I look at her face and her astonished look breaks into a smile.