For I Loved You | Teen Ink

For I Loved You

By floridagirl SILVER, Summerfield, Florida
floridagirl SILVER, Summerfield, Florida

"Make sure your worst enemy doesn't live between your own two ears" -Laird Hamilton

I've watched you grow up since the day they brought you home from the hospital. I was given to your mother as a wedding gift at least a year prior, but she never even looked at me. There I lay, face down in a dusty, old drawer for what seemed to last forever. Perhaps they had been saving me for you, because the day they brought you home was the day that I saw something truly beautiful, I instantly fell in love. The rosiness of your apple like cheeks, your sea green eyes, and that smile! I couldn't help but smile back.

It wasn't long until you were three. You were quite the troublemaker. Putting on your moms make-up and saying joyously, "Look at me mommy". You were so innocent, when you looked at me with that ear-to-ear grin on your face, I couldn't help but smile back. After a long day of making mud pies with all of your friends you came in to get cleaned up and looked at me. Laughing, smiling, even covered in dirt, you were beautiful. I couldn't help but smile back.

Time flew by and soon you were 16. Hardly ever home. Hardly ever looking at me. You still smiled often, but you cried too. A lot over boys, school work, mistakes. Oh how I wish that you had only smiled for when you looked at me crying, the tears that poured from your eyes, also poured from mine. I couldn't help but cry. Ever so often though you would pick me up and smile. Moving you delicate fingers through your soft, flowing, golden brown hair. You were beautiful. I couldn't help but smile back.

Now you are packing for college. I already assume that I will be left, along with all of your other found memories of this room. Then you pick me up and put me in a box. I am overcome with joy. Does this mean you are taking me with you?! The door opens and the

giant star in the sky, I believe it is called "Sun" shines down onto me. It is beautiful. You are beautiful. Then you drop me, and you walk away. I am literally shattered. My dreams, my hopes, my memories, our memories. Gone, just like that.

I lay here. Face up. Shattered. Wondering if you ever cared. Ever thought I was beautiful. For I am your mirror and I loved you.