Smile | Teen Ink

Smile

By onemanband101 PLATINUM, Hackettstown, New Jersey
onemanband101 PLATINUM, Hackettstown, New Jersey

Who knew a smile could hold so much pain?

You smile just to hold everything together, just to let people think you’re all right. You doubt your self worth, and you hide it with a smile. Your smile holds back your tears, because if you’re smiling you must be fine. Smiles are meant for happiness.

Isn’t that right?

And people just buy it, don’t they? They don’t have any second thoughts; your smile says it all. They’re too gullible to see through the knot that holds your smile together.

But maybe they don’t want to see.

They’re too busy with their own problems to see you. After all it’s right there on your face. How hard can it be to see what’s really behind it? You’re barely keeping it together, and your knot is loosing its grip.

Then your cover is blown.

Your smile cracks and you can’t smile anymore. Your feeling are not a smiling matter, they’re more important then that. It’s too hard too hide, and now you don’t care if anyone else can see you suffer. You want them to know, after they’ve ignored you for so long.

Now they care.

Now it is so obvious now that tears streak down your face, they feel now it is necessary to do something. They want you to feel better.

It’s too late now.

The smile has done its work. It’s brought you down lower then you’ve ever imagined. You wish others would have noticed before. You wish that you’d let them.

Who knew smiles could bring so much pain?