Before the Funeral of the Thane of Lochaber | Teen Ink

Before the Funeral of the Thane of Lochaber

October 13, 2014
By PetraRose GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
PetraRose GOLD, Longmont, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you--just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.”
― Shel Silverstein


The rain begins to pour softly along the isles seemingly as sad as the people of Lochaber. The King’s castle seems dull and lifeless except for the occasional bark of a dog or whinny of a horse. Inside the castle thought the Queen and King are busy readying themselves for the funeral of Banquo, Thane of Lochaber. All is well and going smoothly until Lady Macbeth, the queen, finds an unusual spot upon her dress. The queen scurries down the long hallway in her best funeral wear and bursts angrily into her husband's dressing chamber. Inside she finds Macbeth sitting on the windowsill watching the rain pouring out over the isle, "Husband!" she screeches, and as she approaches him Lady Macbeth clutches at her dress.
Macbeth looks away from the window and gives her a blank look and speaks softy “Yes my Queen what is it?"
Lady Macbeth takes a deep breathe, "Just look at the state of my dress! Its absolutely ruined, see this spot here" She shows him the part of the dress she had been clutching furiously.
Looking at the dress Macbeth looks puzzled "My love there is no spot upon your dress."
Lady Macbeth looks at her husband in utter disgust "Of course there is a spot! Do you not see it you imbecile?"
As she speaks Macbeth stands and begins to pull on his best black cloak and puts his ceremonial dagger on his belt "If there is a spot my dear then where did it come from exactly?"
The Queen looks at him and states blatantly "Why the murder you idiot." Scoffing she sits on the windowsill and looks at him disdainful. The king solemnly walks to the windowsill and sits next to Lady Macbeth. 
Macbeth takes her hand in his and speaks firmly "My most beautiful queen, you are beautiful and as such is your dress. I see no spot you must be mistaken. The carriage is waiting, please, Lets make this funeral a smooth one." He tries to touch her cheek but she quickly swats away his hand.
"No, There is a spot and it never comes out! There is a spot of blood on my dress all from your brilliant plan to kill the king!" Lady Macbeth stands furiously, goes to the wash bucket, and begins to scrub at her dress where the ‘Spot’ apparently is.
The King rushes to her side “My love please lets just get into the carriage and let us get through this day without another one of your episodes.” The queen does not cease to scrub at a point she sets down her dress and proceeds to wash at her hands muttering under her breath
“The spot wont come out… the blood won’t wash away… why oh god why?” The light drizzle outside had turned into a full on storm, lighting flashed and thunder crashed as the queen mutters.
Then abruptly she sits up and stops scrubbing and looks calmly at her husband and then seemingly launches herself towards him grabbing at his dagger.  “It is your fault!” she cries out “all your fault!”
Macbeth stands and begins to back away slowly  “My Dearest queen please snap out of this!”
Lady Macbeth with a crazed look in her eye begins to approach him with the dagger in hand. “There’s only one way to get the spot off… we must pay for what we have done.” As she speaks Lady Macbeth stops short and poises the dagger above her heart.
“No!” Macbeth calls out and rushes forward to her ripping the dagger from her grip and smacking her roughly against the cheek. The queen falls to the ground and sobs softly.
Macbeth throws the dagger away and gets down on the ground beside her “My love?” He softly caresses the queen’s back lovingly kissing her cheek.
Lady Macbeth stands, dusts herself off, wipes away her tears and looks down at her husband. “What are you doing on the floor husband?” She looks at him confused “If we do no leave now we shall be late for the funeral hurry up.” Lady Macbeth turns and walks out of the chamber to go to the carriage. After she leaves Macbeth gets up, dusts himself off and goes to pickup the dagger from the other side of the room. Outside it had returned to a light drizzle and the sun had began to peak out of the clouds. Macbeth sighs and turns to walk down the hallway towards the front doors of the castle.
As he walks a passing maid stops him for a moment “Your highness I heard a great many of screeching and sobbing from your chamber is everything all right?”
Macbeth looks at the maid and answers simply with “Yes, the queen is just saddened for the loss of a good friend.”


The author's comments:

This is a narrative depicting what happened before Macbeth and Lady Macbeth arrived at Banquo's funeral