Past The Willow Trees | Teen Ink

Past The Willow Trees

By ntaleon BRONZE, Langley, Other
ntaleon BRONZE, Langley, Other

"Be the person your younger self needed"

The city illuminated as its metallic buildings with triangular tops stood high in a circular formation—resembling that of a kings shining silver crown.  Those who lived in the city wore Pallas made of white silk accompanied with a braid of silver fitted perfectly around each individual’s waist.  Rose bushes filled the gaps between the tall towers and a water fountain spouted from the center of the city shooting up and then to the side like dolphins jumping out and then back in to the water.  When entering the grand gates of the city a wave of sweet and fresh aromas would swarm each passerby.  Here anything is possible, and everything can be given.  But there is another city nearby—told to be even better, more beautiful and offers beyond more than one can imagine.  And only those worthy are invited to come—chosen by a woman who has no tongue.  These individuals are welcomed to the new city, and are praised with loud cheering upon arrival—heard by those far away.  The rumbling and applause awaits for the newcomers.  And it is said that the lady is arriving soon.
“Sir Griffin is said to be invited.”  One child whispers to another.  Both look at the man pensively.
“Why’s that?”
“Well, look at him.  Even though he stands so far away, you can tell he’s a wealthy man and has enough to pay off the lady who comes and chooses and still keep some for himself.”
“Sir Griffin could buy his way in but once she meets Lucas she won’t be able to deny his charm.”
“I guess you could call it that.  But anyways, I heard the lady loves food.”
“Maybe Lady Gladys will offer some of her food.”
“If she doesn’t eat it first.”  They take a moment to ask themselves, “What should we do?”  The young boy and little girl think. 
“Mm…ooh how about offering an apple!” 
“Sounds like a great idea, Evelyn.”  The two run off to find an apple tree while others also get ready for the arrival of the lady.  Sir Griffin takes a large enough portion from his savings and stuffs it in a diamond encrusted sack.  And Lady Gladys begins to store and supply famous delicacies—needing servants to hide them from her, otherwise nothing would be prepared for the lady’s arrival.
“It’s perfect!”  Wren exclaims in the completion of her lion sculpture.  The amount of intricate detail chiselled on to the marble piece left most in disbelief and some quite envious.
“That’s a beautiful sculpture you have there, Wren.”  He stared at the stone lion, not even once making eye contact with her.
“Thank you Elliot.  If you don’t mind me asking, what did you do for the lady?”  The question breaks his focus.  He turns towards her as she was wiping off the dirt from her chisel.
“I was going to—.  I also made a sculpture myself, though it’s made of limestone instead of marble.”
“I see.  Well, I was told she is coming today—quite soon actually.”  She turns around to place her chisel on her table when a loud thrash made her jolt and instantly turn back around.  On purpose he had pushed the lion off its pedestal.  And he looks down at the broken pieces and then stares back at her nefariously. He laughs.
“Oops.”  His jutted forehead shaded his eyes.  Slowly the corners of his mouth rose forming a big smile on his face.  And then swiftly she grabs her chisel and charges at him as if he was a holding a red cape and she was a bull.  She jumped on him and held on tightly.  They fall to the ground—she being on top with her knees placed firmly on both sides of his waist.  And with the discharge of a deafening scream, she raises her hand gripping the sharp chisel.
The lady saw the whole thing.  Blood stained their white gowns and the cobble stone they laid on.  It reached all the way to her table of sculpting tools and still she was repeatedly stabbing him.  The lady comes into the light.  Wren pauses, eyes widen, flips her hair back and then abruptly turns to the lady.  She looks down at Elliot whose struggling had stopped.
  “I—I didn’t see you there.”  Wren says as she stood up wiping the spattered blood off her face.  The lady only stared at her and then she signalled Wren to come to her.  They began to walk through the city forgetting what had just happened.
“Have I been invited?”  The lady maintains the same pace and only responds by nodding ‘yes’.  Wren grins and continues to follow the lady.
Passing by the different buildings the lady was offered food, given money, promised love, handed servants and then one man argued how lucky the city would be if they had him.  All of them were invited to come with her.  They stood proudly in front of the grand entrance and waved goodbye to those who were left behind.  The gates opened right as the lady turned around to walk out.  As the doors shut behind them, the voices silenced solidifying the idea that they are going to the new city.  The lady takes them through a dark forest of willows lightened by fireflies.  They guide them through the hanging trees as their path was a closed curtain every step forward.  Finally they reach a river where a long row boat waited for them.  The lady brings them to the nearby city. 
They arrive on the shore and immediately face a gold coliseum.  The lady motions them to enter.  Its large size made them stare at one another before forwarding except the one who deemed himself worthy, who enters without hesitation.  They follow closely behind.  Thousands of people are seated in the balconies above and begin cheering loudly.  A thunderous applause waves through the crowd.  On ground level they turn in circles looking up, smiling and laughing at the praise that was all for them.  Golden doors slide up allowing out men in black hoods and loin cloths to exit and march towards them.
The men aggressively grab and tear them away from each other. They walk to the center of the dome and reorganize in a circle.
“Release me at once!”  One of them orders.  Trying to escape the tight grip of the hooded men the attention then turns to Wren who begins to get dragged to the middle of the group.
“What’s going on?!”  She falls down to her knees with her wrists and ankles strapped down on to the dusty ground by steel chains.  Shaking and squirming against the restraining ropes she faces another door.  It opens.  And from the shadows appeared a lion with hair that flowed with the wind and teeth and claws plated with gold.  It slowly strut toward her, coming so close the lion’s warm breath thawed her frozen face.  It bows its head to smell her clothes.  The lion steps backwards then pauses.  It raises its head making eye contact with her.  When all of a sudden its black pupils narrow and its eyes expand.  The lion’s roar echoes throughout the coliseum as it pounces in a serpentine motion towards her.  She shrieks in terror as the lion’s claws dig into her chest and lock in place.  Pieces of her body intertwined with bloody fabric flew into the air landing in front of the five remaining.
Each step back in horror.  And one by one, they were taken to the center.  For Lady Gladys she was tied to a skewer, roasted above an open fire like the pigs she would eat all the time at home.  The audience would cheer louder and louder.  And as for the lady who brought them there, she turns away from the show and looks into the area, smiling at the scene.
Back in the city, the two children are laughing and chasing each other around the lively fountain.  The little girl, following the young boy, halts suddenly.
“Hey Evelyn.”
“What?” 
The young boy cups his hand and puts it behind his ear.  “Do you hear that?”
She directs her attention to wear the sound was coming from.  Her smile is waved over by an unveiling emotion of jealousy.  She turns to the young boy and says, “Yeah, it sounds like they’re having so much fun.”

This is another written piece that would not be here if it weren't for my incredible, intelligent, and super cool English teacher Mrs. M--also former Psychology and now Comparative Civilizations teacher. :D  Thanks to my sister, too, for helping me out in the AM.