I am a Family | Teen Ink

I am a Family

January 15, 2015
By k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The college girl was home for winter break. As she approached her house the familiar smell of chocolate wafted out - her mother was addicted. She knocked on the big brown door and heard movement inside. Her little sister flung the door open and gave her a big bear hug.
The college girl went inside, her parents asked about her endeavors. She felt simply supported as her parents listened and nodded. They gave her their undivided attention.
The college girl felt at home again. She played games and made faces. She acted as weird as she pleased and all her sister could do was laugh. They all laughed with her.
The college girl went out with her family. She knew no one could hold them back. They were sanguine, satisfied, self-assured. They were unstoppable.
The college girl cried as she packed up the car and prepared to leave her home. The smells, sights, and sounds of her mother, father, and sister were fading away. She missed her house already. Her little sister flung the door open and gave her a big bear hug.


The author's comments:

This is a personal metaphor