The Rains Billion Year Old Love Affair | Teen Ink

The Rains Billion Year Old Love Affair

By Maia-Irwin PLATINUM, Madras, Oregon
Maia-Irwin PLATINUM, Madras, Oregon

Once upon a time;

The first raindrops saw the earth and knew already how the story would end.   They saw the fire and forming crust of the adolescent planet and loved the lines of the new coast and the smell of smoke.  Their mother the clouds warned them not to love a planet with a hellfire heart.   "Do not become enamored with the way it seems to scream, please, water wasn't meant to want to burn."

The drops fell all the same.

Earth, that most abusive lover, took them and used them and threw them away.   The drops cried that their Love had done this to them, but with that first rain the earth was nurtured by the devotion of one it had consumed.

The raindrops saw the earth and loved the green.  It seemed as though the earth was calling them, begging them to come back.  Every flower they spotted seemed to them an apology, every blade of grass a declaration of love.  Their mother the clouds pleaded that they not be fooled by a plaent that hides its hellfire heart.   "Do not fall for this planets crooked lies, the green you say is a sign of change is merely evidence of its cruelty.  Do not love a planet for the beauty your death created."

The drops fell all the same.

Earth, that most cruel lover, took them and used them and threw them away.  The drops wept that their Love could do this to them, but with that rain the earth used them to fuel its lust for life.

The raindrops saw the earth and loved the way it pulsed with life.  They could not care about their wayward lovers past transgressions when its forests chittered with life.  The raindrops felt the pulse that beat through every ocean and field, and turned away from their mother the clouds begging them not to love a planet that loves life with its hellfire heart more than them.   "Do not be infatuated with the creatures that crawl on its surface, those are your children, borne from your death.  Created without your consent."

The drops fall all the same.

Earth, that most enthralling lover, took them and used them and threw them away.   The drops raged that their Love would do this to them, and cried out that they would never fall again.  

The drops will see the earth and try not to love that dying planets decaying aristocracy.   But they cannot help it, the funeral pyres smoke will remind them of their youth, and the ground will be black and gray like when it was first formed.   The planet will be smirking defeat and black pride.   Their mother the clouds will ask them not to love a planet with a half cold heart.   "Do not go to it my children, how many times did it hurt you?   Do not go to that dying Caesar, that fallen God."

The drops will fall all the same.

Earth, that most arrogant lover, will grin with broken teeth as they splash on the barren ground.  The drops will exalt their deaths, glad to finally reach the end of what they knew would come.