Three Lifetimes | Teen Ink

Three Lifetimes

By Scarletroseann GOLD, Independence, Oregon
Scarletroseann GOLD, Independence, Oregon

i found this quote in City of Bones, i believe, by Cassandra Clare the quote is:

"The measure of love is to love without measure."
--Saint Augustine

Living time and time again can be tiring at times, until you reach your third and final life time. My name is Jasmine and I have gone by different names each time I change life times. I was a journalist and mother off three in my first life time, in my second I was an artist and mother of two. In my third and final life time, I’m a High school student senior with a new and evolved world ahead of me. My family was cursed by a witch some generations ago, ever since then everyone, male or female must live three lifetimes before moving on to other places. The strange thing is, I’m the only one who remembers my past lives. 

In my first lifetime the year was 2015 and I had just left high school for college life, and a path in journalism and English. I had met my husband in college and we married in the summer and had three children, two girls and one boy. I tried keeping myself hidden from the outside world and the witch that I had managed to escape when my parents and siblings went into their second or third lifetimes. We lived in a log cabin on the outskirts of Colorado. I wrote about my families curse and the love of my family. The witch found me some years later and cut my life short, I was thirty at the time, I entered my second life by way of drowning. I got hung up on some algae and it pulled me down and held me there till I died.

My second life I entered at thirty, the year was 2099, after an alien invasion, I was Sarah then. I was a dyed blond and an amazing artist, making wonderful sculptures of aliens and space crafts and hand blown glass things. My husband was John Smith, I don’t remember much of John, but I had twin girls and they were different than other children. My memory of my life as Sarah, I remember very little. Almost as if she blocked me from those memories somehow. It doesn't matter. I left my life as Sarah, the artist, when one of her sculptures blew up. I was fifty then.
The witch was generous to me in my final life, I became Lillian at eighteen. It was graduation night when I joined with Lillian. She was a redhead and had a boyfriend who I didn't like but couldn't stop Lillian from being with. That’s the breaks of living three lifetimes. The first is always your own but the next ones are not; you are only there for the ride, and a chance at change. Lillian is showing an interest in writing, computers, art, and animals. I am in the graduating class of 4014, this time. I feel as if this time is different for me, perhaps this is the time my family’s curse will be broken. The boy she is with is a redhead with brown eyes and tan skin. The boy, I’m gathering from her memories, is eighteen and a football star. He’s got a full ride scholarship to OSU and some university in Nevada. 

This is an exerpt from something I plan to write. Please let me know if this would be something worth continuing. Thank you

--Scarlet