The Heart He Thought He Knew | Teen Ink

The Heart He Thought He Knew

By BilliJoBaumann SILVER, Anaconda, Montana
BilliJoBaumann SILVER, Anaconda, Montana

"Life may have limits, but you can always exceed them."-Billi Jo Baumann

?His love, his life, was gone, taken by a single mistake. She laid lifeless in front of him and he could do nothing but stare into her cold light less eyes, "My love," Drew sobbed, "what have they done to you?" as if expecting an answer he sat next to her, placing her head gently in his lap, and there he wept for hours.

After what seemed like an eternity, a strange looking girl approached him and spoke, "Don't cry for your loss of her, celebrate her freedom now" she said, and as she spoke, butterflies of the most wonderful colors left her lips. he realized at this point while looking at this girl, that she was transparent, practically invisible except for the butterflies that seemed to cover her like they were her skin, a skin that shimmered in the moon light. She was simply  magnificent. As he sat there staring into the eyes of the butterfly girl he reached into his bag and pulled out his switch blade and cut into the odd girls chest and removed her heart, "I must save her!" he cried quickly trying to cut open his lover. "You cannot save what wasn't yours," she said slowly disappearing into the night.

He looked down at his hands and screamed as he realized he killed the only girl he ever loved. "What have I done?!" he screamed, looking at his hands then at his lover he spoke, " A world without her is a world not meant to be lived in." With that he took the knife that had taken his love's life and took his own never understanding what that butterfly girl had told him.

I wrote this for my friend after he found out that his girlfriend had cheated on him. When we saw her the other day, i looked at him with wide eyes when i saw that he was smiling, i asked him why and he said because she is happy. (she had a thing for butterflies)