Bryan Was A Punk | Teen Ink

Bryan Was A Punk MAG

Noelle sat impatiently at her kitchen table. She was supposed to have left her house five minutes ago. It never fails though, her mom always puts everything off. Her mom was upstairs getting ready for her dinner party now, instead of earlier. She was supposed to drop Noelle off at the mall. Everyone was already there except for her.

All of a sudden the doorbell rang. Noelle ran to get the door. To her surprise, she saw Bryan standing there. Bryan, the 16-year-old love of her life ... although he didn't know it. Noelle's mouth dropped open.

"Bryan, what are you doing here?" she stared adoringly into his face.

He gave her that cute smile and said, "Well, I was going to pick up Taylor, but he had already left, so I decided to stop by your house, ya know, see what's going on."

"Well, nothing's really happening. I'm just waiting for my mom to give me a ride to the mall." Noelle looked hopefully at Bryan.

"Well, I'm on my way to the mall, so I can give you a ride."

Noelle's heart fluttered. She told Bryan to come in the house so her mom could see who was giving her a ride. Bryan looked hesitant to meet her mom. It was really no wonder. Bryan's shaved head, purple mohawk, three earrings, chains and baggy clothes didn't really make the best impression. People Noelle's age think he's amazing, but adults think he's a disgrace.

When Noelle's mom walked in and saw Bryan, she smiled politely, but had a look of shock in her eyes.

"Noelle, honey, who's your friend?"

"Mom, this is Bryan. Would it be all right if he gave me a ride to the mall, please?"

Noelle's mom took another look. He looked back with a confused look and said, "Hey." Noelle's mom gave him a forced smile.

"Noelle, you can go with him. Just be careful, and remember to wear your seatbelts."

"Oh, thank you, Mom!" Noelle gave her mom a confident smile.

Bryan escorted Noelle to his beat-up blue Cavalier. As he rolled out of the driveway, Noelle waved to her mom. Her mom raised her hand in return.

As soon as they were out of sight, Bryan pulled out a pack of cigarettes, offering her one which she took gratefully.

"Thanks, I've been dying for one all day."

So Noelle and Bryan just cruised to the mall, smoked their cigarettes and listened to loud, obnoxious punk music.

As they pulled into the parking lot, Bryan asked if Courtney was going to be there. Courtney was her best friend. Noelle felt so important walking into the mall with Bryan. Courtney ran up to her and gave her a big hug. Bryan just kind of walked beyond Courtney to greet Taylor. Courtney looked at Noelle and smiled.

"So, you came here with Bryan,?" Courtney gave Noelle that all-knowing look.

"Well, he just showed up at my door, so, ya know ..."

"Yeah, I know," Courtney laughed at Noelle's shyness. "Just don't get your hopes up too high. Jill is here."

Jill was the girl Bryan liked.

Noelle moaned.

Noelle and Courtney journeyed to the tables where everyone was sitting. Bryan was giving Jill the look that Noelle had been giving Bryan 20 minutes before. For the next hour people did their own thing. Noelle and Courtney hung out scrutinizing Bryan's every look at Jill. Finally it was time for the weekly trip to Perkins to grab a cup of coffee and take in the new atmosphere.

Bryan gave Noelle, Jill, Courtney and Taylor a ride. When they got there, their friends Shane, Satlyn, and Adam were there, so they all sat together. Noelle just happened to end up sitting next to Bryan.

As they were sitting there, Katlyn asked Jill how her boyfriend was. Noelle shot Courtney a look of hope. Jill has a boyfriend?

Jill gave Bryan an apologetic look. "Sorry, I should have told you sooner, I guess."

Bryan, whose mouth was hanging open, smiled weakly. "I'm happy for you."

Jill looked at him thoughtfully and said, "You mean, you're hurt."

Bryan looked down at his hands, "Yeah, that too."

And that was end of Bryan and Jill. Noelle felt bad for Bryan, but at the same time she was ecstatic. Maybe Bryan would fall in love with her and he'd ask her out and then ...

Noelle smiled inwardly and told herself to keep dreaming. Eleven o'clock rolled around and Noelle realized she was stuck without a ride home. Bryan offered to drive her.

The ride home was pretty quiet. Noelle was debating whether to tell Bryan she liked him. As he rolled into her driveway, Noelle looked at him and thanked him for the ride.

He told her he had to talk to her for a second. Noelle was going crazy. This was her dream. She looked deep into his gorgeous green eyes.

"Noelle, I really like you. I was wondering if you'd be my girl?" Then he kissed her softly.

That was the dream. This was the reality.

"Noelle, do you think you could pay me $5.00 for gas money? I'm not sure if I can make it home."

Tears swelling in her eyes, Noelle fumbled in her pocket and pulled out a crumpled five dollar bill and gave it to him.

He mumbled a thank-you. Noelle said good-bye and got out of the car. And that was the end of Noelle and Bryan. 1

i love this !

BilliePeaceLOVE BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment
I really enjoyed this story! And I know exactly how she feels! :)  I think you did a great job. Also, I think it would be even better if you added alittle more details like what band/song they were listening to. And just describe their clothes and surroundings more. Thanks for writeing this it really is great!