Pictures Convey a Thousand Words | Teen Ink

Pictures Convey a Thousand Words

June 5, 2015
By TennisMan19 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
TennisMan19 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"


“Jason! Get over here!” Mr. Johnston, Jason’s boss, voice boomed over the intercom. He could already feel sweat beading at the top of his forehead. He entered Mr. Johnston’s office with his head hung low, and millions of butterflies in his stomach. He could taste bile in the back of his throat.
“Yes sir?” Jason replied.
Mr. Johnston focused his great, brown, beady eyes on Jason. “I hired you for this position hoping that you would be a positive addition to this corporation. Instead, you have been one of our worst. Jason, you have been handing in reports weeks later than I requested, and they could’ve been mistaken for a kindergartener’s work. Take this as a warning, Mr. Harper. One more slip up and I will throw you out of this building. Do I make myself clear?” Mr. Johnston lectured.
“Yes, Mr. Johnston. This will never happen again.” Jason responded. At that, he turned and strode out of his boss’s office, and without noticing, dropped his company ID card.
Jason slumped back into his work chair, miserable. He desperately needed to impress Mr. Johnston. He sighed softly into his arm and stared at his computer, when something peculiar happened.
He heard Mr. Johnston’s voice in his head.
That man needs to step up his game. If he doesn’t get me that file by tomorrow, I am going to personally throw him out.
Jason shot up, startled. “How can I here that man in my head?” he wondered aloud.
After this, something even stranger occurred. He heard another voice in his head, which he recognized as his girlfriend,Tiffany’s.
Jason could not fathom what was occurring. He thought deeply, still shocked by what happened in his head.
His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by deep, heavy footsteps heading toward his office.
“Jason Harper. You left your company ID on my office floor. Treat it with respect. With that, he strode off, whistling.
Jason suddenly realized what happened. It was as if time slowed, and he was living in his own thoughts.
“I can listen to what people say through my picture!” Jason stated aloud. He realized that his picture was on his ID, and his picture was with his girlfriend.
With this new power, Jason was invincible. He strode out of his old, tarnished workplace into the beautiful, lush, green outdoors. He felt like a superhero, when he suddenly saw a horrible sight. An SUV was bounding toward a small child riding a bicycle. Without thinking, Jason ran at his full speed and pushed the child out of the way, only to get rammed by the gigantic car.

 

 

Jason opened his eyes, to find a hospital television in front of him. He saw his picture on the TV, and at that, began to hear millions of voices in his head. His picture was all over the news, and it was picking up dialogue of whoever saw it. The voices began to come in his head louder, louder, multiplying by the second. He was going insane. His weakened heart could not take it. Jason’s heartbeat began to slow by the minute, until with one last beat, it came to a sudden halt.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for a school project, in which we had to write a short story of about 500 words, and include much action and detail. I hope you enjoy!