The Warlock of Hertia | Teen Ink

The Warlock of Hertia

By SrikarBaireddy SILVER, Hyderabad, Other
SrikarBaireddy SILVER, Hyderabad, Other

"Die or die trying."

There was a roar about a hundred times that of a lion as a lightning bolt struck the moss only one meter from me, disintegrating the green clump as if it never existed. In fact, I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see the charred ground next to it and a cluster of noisy people impolitely staring at me in shock. Their wide eyes grew quite annoying to me and I resisted the urge to thunderbolt them dead. Merlin had repeatedly told me this, his bony finger poking my forehead and his long, shaggy beard brushing the ground as he spoke. It was quite hilarious and often burst into my meditation that I practiced daily to keep up my mana, the energy I need in order to summon up my warlock powers.
I had been reminded countless number of times not to hurt a person with my powers, as if I did, I would be thrown into jail. Even if I was, I could blast my way out of there, to which Merlin, my teacher, strictly replied that I would be a WANTED WARLOCK, to which I easily replied that I could erase everyone’s memory so I wouldn’t be wanted anymore. At this sentence, Merlin briskly walked out and brought back a whip, which I enchanted to make it dance. My sense of humor and wits saved me again. Merlin laughed. An ugly, terrifying, rasping laugh that would have caused any other living organism a heart attack.
Merlin would have never chosen anyone on the streets to be his disciple. He was known for his vast amount of knowledge and his strict rules, but the things folks really missed out on were his horrible looks, and his terrible memory. Let me describe how he looks: He had HUGE buckteeth that were black from cavities, a result for not brushing for the last millennium or so. In other words, he was HIDEOUS. He even had glasses, and his poor eyesight forced him to buy glasses that covered most of the room. I, however, was able to convince him to get contact lenses, as I was sick of getting smashed into a wall when I entered. I was chosen as people knew I had some sort of magic and demonstrated it in terrible ways. The trick I played on Merlin was stuffing him inside a beautifully decorated bird cage with gold, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and pretty much all other precious gems on it. It was made totally of mana, and of course, whenever Merlin touched the bars, he would get zapped by an electric current. I fainted right after making it as it needed a lot of energy. When I woke up, I saw an old bird with a beard inside a cage that needed to be opened. I opened it, and my reward was a crabby old man swearing at me.
“You insolent young fool! What do you think you were doing, eh?”
It was after that I was selected. Merlin recognized the heights of my magic and wore protective armour. I managed to blast it open, don’t ask how, why, or what happened after that, because I really don’t want to go over the details. I’ll just say he was pretty angry at me.
Today was a really special day. In two ways. It was my birthday, and it was my worst enemy’s PLAN A INTO ACTION DAY.
Merlin sighed. It was one of those days he had to send his student to foil Draken’s evil plots. Draken was an evil ex-prisoner who plotted to rule the world. He had a un-explanatory love for purple and always wore purple armour. It wasn’t so hard to spot him.
The last attempt, he had nearly succeeded, but luckily, his student, Allen, was able to knock Draken of a tower. He still didn’t understand how Draken survived that.
I kicked the door and sent it flying out of the window. I heard screams below as people scurried around like mice to dodge the wooden door and a splinter as the door, well, splintered. Merlin sighed again. Will he ever stop this nonsense? My elixir for long life is probably… he thought. There was the sound of breaking glass as the container for the elixir shattered.
“I don’t really care if it’s your birthday, but WILL YOU STOP DOING THAT!!!!!”
“Well, can’t really answer that but……. I guess I can try. It’s a good start, dontchya think?”
Merlin groaned.”Draken is at it again. This time he believes he has a bomb, and when it explodes, the world will be under his control. The GOOD thing: No more Draken and his stupid purple tower. The BAD news: The whole world will want to suicide. Fortunately, I’ve discovered that he put a liquid in it. All you have to do is steal the bomb, pour out the liquid, light the bomb, change into Dragon Aspect so you don’t get hurt by the bomb, and guard him to make sure he dies because of the bomb.”
“It won’t be like last time, will it…?” I pondered doubtfully. Last time he cut of one of my wings when I was in dragon form. Without my wing, I dived diagonally and gave him a nice WHACK and sent him flying a thousand kilometers down into Ghastlyville.
“I hope not.”
“Then I’m up for it.”
I turned into Hercules Aspect and bashed through the wall.
“DON’T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
The words followed me as I fell down as fast as a bullet, switched into bird Aspect, and soared off. The Hertian valley was quickly disappearing beneath me and I stared at the Greeny-Greeny forest, when I felt impact.
“INCOMING!” birds were crying as I shot past them and I went SMACK into Draken’s tower. I slid down the tower with a horrible squeaking noise when I switched to Lizard Aspect and scoured the wall. I climbed into the window only to be gobbled up by a bird.
I am quite sure none of you readers have experienced being a lizard trying to fight its way out of a bird’s beak, so you wouldn’t very understand how it is. Very well, I will do my best to explain it to you.
Pink surrounded me- pink, a revolting pink with the lights and shadows of a throat. I wiggled my tail, and the bird coughed, to reveal I was nearing the top of the tower, hundreds of kilometers from the ground. I suddenly didn’t want to escape.
The bird halted, seemingly on solid ground. I switched to Phoenix Aspect, ripped open my host’s body, and glimpsed Draken.
“Ah, Allan.” I know Merlin looks bad, but compared to Draken, he’s a superbly handsome gentleman. And I’m….. Can’t describe it. Too good.
“Please. Allen. How did you live the fall from the tower?”
“I was carried to MANIACAL HOSPITAL: THE HOSPITAL FOR EEEEVILLLLLL MANIACS by my trusty eagle, who is now apparently… ripped in half…. And his contents are falling to Ghastlyville…… … How dare you????!!!!”
I had barely any time to dodge his manna sword. The golden tip barely missed my wing. I could hardly believe that this was the same person who sent me lovely petunias when he heard I had trapped Merlin.
He teleported in a POOF AND SUDDENLY, SKELETONS FROM THE GRAVES WERE RISING! I had to beat them first. In matter of the few seconds I had thought, a sword, axe, dart as well as an arrow hit me. In return, I lashed out at them with my favorite move: The fire vortex. I spun around, releasing fire in all directions. I watched in horror and fascination as new skeletons rose to replace the dead ones.
I was doomed.
One by one, all sorts of weapons hit me. No matter what I did, it didn’t help. I plummeted to the ground without strength, and smashed clean through the crust of the Earth. This caused an earthquake that finished off Draken and his army. And me.
The bomb exploded, destroying his tower and much of it around.
Back in Hertia Valley, Merlin was left lamenting.
I had finally failed.
Merlin teleported with a POOF to the battle scene, where skeletons lay on the ground, sprawling as if hit by a huge force. He had completely forgotten about the bomb. Everything looked disastrous except for the fact that Draken was sleeping in his hammock, sipping a sundae, and his favorite book BEING MORE EVIL THAN THOUGHT POSSIBLE FOR DUMMIES open. Merlin didn’t notice him and made his way to the crater where I lay.
“I’m so hungry, I could eat a horse,” a voice could be heard.
“And a doughnut and a happy meal…..” Merlin was confused. What! Who is speaking?
“And the whole of Mc Donald’s….” Merlin peeked in and was so shocked that his beard fell down and it took a couple of centuries to grow back.
“Uh….Merlin? Where’s your beard?” I asked.
And I fainted.
The next thing I knew, I was in Merlin’s office.
“Another life form other than you is alive.”
“OH NO……………….”
“What?” Merlin almost screamed.
“I’M BALD! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
Merlin groaned. I was running around and somehow fell out of the hole I made as Hercules.
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!”
I was lifted by some unseen power. “You’re not bald. I am.”
“Oh. Sorry.”
“I believe Draken is alive. And you’re going out to kill him.”
An icy chill ran down my spine. Why, oh, why me? I shifted into HULK aspect and broke down a wall. I jumped out and shifted into dragon aspect. It was one of those horrid new moon pitch black nights and the only way I could see was breathing fire. Pretty soon, the whole of Greeny-Greeny Forest was on fire, and the Gods were having a nice round of barbecued sausages. I looked back and INCOMING I smacked into the only standing tower. And the tower fell on me.
Now the loud sound of a tower crashing down is enough to wake up anyone, even if they are sipping a sundae and reading their favorite book. Draken woke up to see why the birds were chirping in the night and realized that the chirping was actually his tower crashing. His hearing was THAT bad.
A dragon does not like to see a person and would rather prefer to see them being cooked. But a dragon especially does NOT like to see a person who looks like an old hag after they nearly escape death. For them, well, they should look at a mirror and die of shock. Draken looked like he had gone to an amazing ugly parlour and they had done revolutionary well. He looked like an old hag multiplied by twenty. If he looked at a mirror, it would kill him and the organisms around him…. looks can kill, in this case.
I avoided looking at his face after I got out. “This is it, Allan,” he said, “My bomb exploded. All of us are doomed, that is, except for me.” His face turned into a scowl that I suspected to be a smile.
My answer? Punching him in the face and sending him flying across the area and whacking his head into a rock.
He got up, now forty times an old hag.
“Mary had a little lamb….”
He was GONE CUCKOO. I left him so he could remember what his name was, and flew away.
I had been successful. Except for the fact that the bomb exploded. I soared back to find the place where the bomb kersploded. It wasn’t very hard to find, as I followed corpses of dead organisms that saw Draken’s face. At the site I spotted the bomb with charred ground nearby. It hadn’t exploded. A rock had fell on it and it simply burst like an over pumped pink balloon and shot Draken along with his book into the hammock. The liquid was on the ground.
I had totally succeeded. Merlin was happy.