Lovely December Snow | Teen Ink

Lovely December Snow

By aditipallod GOLD, Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
aditipallod GOLD, Breinigsville, Pennsylvania

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."

Confucius

It is a winter morning and I roll out of bed, excitement bubbling inside of me like a soda bottle about to explode. I peek out of the window, my happiness level accelerating as I see a white blanket layered all over the neighborhood.  After gazing for a few moments, I rush to the closet, bundling up on scarves, gloves, fluffy socks, and jackets, topping it off with on large winter coat.

I holler to my family, still asleep, cozy and snuggled inside of their beds. As soon as I step outside, I feel as if I’ve been swept away to another world, a winter wonderland.  Snow prances all around me, wrapping me in a sparkling, ice-kissed tornado. I step forward, the crystalline crunch of fresh snow ringing in my ears. Playfully, I stick my tongue out, as a glistening snowflake lands on it.

THWACK! I shriek, as my mischievous younger brother giggles uncontrollably, his arm stretched out, as he had just pelted me with a snowball. The fight was on! Curling my fingers, I grab snow until I make a semi-decent snowball. Then, while my brother’s back is turned around, I aim and whack him in the leg. After a while, my brother gets bored and wants to go sledding.

Glancing at the beautiful slopes in front of me, I grin, and rush out to get our sled. We trudge to the top of the highest hill in our neighborhood, ecstasy running through our veins. I slide into our makeshift vehicle, and my brother clamors behind me. As I take a moment to gather my force to act on the sled -- WHOOSH! My brother had brought his foot back and we were already racing down the hill. Caught off guard, I realize that I can get payback, for nearly shocking me off of the sled. While we’re sliding down, I stick my hand out on the ground, and snow collects in my hand. Smiling evilly, I turn around quickly, and dump it all on my brother’s head.

I shiver, as the cold seeps through my bones, chilling me to the core. Flakes of snow trickle down the sky, landing on our heads, and a slight breeze creates a wonderful effect. Suddenly, I see a huge fir tree ahead of us! We were going to crash! My brother seems to be alert, and before I can react, he shifts his tiny body weight to the left. Coming to my senses, I mimic him, and we just miss, my jacket grazing the trunk of the tree.

Finally, after an exciting adventure, we end up back in our backyard, ready to go inside. Entering through the basement, we stand over the tile floor, watching snow melting into puddles under our feet due to the warmth of the house. Tugging my boots off, I run upstairs, and take a long, hot bath. I nestle into my bed a few minutes later, dreaming of dancing around a lovely snow globe, sprinkled with glitter and joy.

Though the weather where I live is more than thirty degrees below snow weather, I was inspired to write this descriptory piece after remembering wonderful memories of last year. This article is my goal for this year, if we get snow.