The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth | Teen Ink

The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth MAG

By Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida

I wipe at my stupid eyes with the back of my hand, and it startles me for a second that my tears are gray. I dunno why it surprised me; I mean, I buy the s***ty mascara that’s $1.99 in the 20 Items or Less checkout lane. Why spend oodles of green on something I hardly ever use?

I just wanted to look nice, you know? Like those girls who’re just naturally fake pretty. The girls who can blend shades of eyeshadow like no one’s business, and match their lipstick to the exact color of their toenail polish or whatever. Seemingly effortless, yet impeccably coordinated.

This is good stuff, I should write for a living – solely on the subject of beauty queens with superiority complexes, of course.

I just want … God, what do I want? I want to feel the sun on my face and paint the clouds and hear the music in the trees and love myself and love someone else and just feel perpetually beautiful.

But that requires the $14.99 waterproof, fire-retardant, Grade-5-hurricane-resistant mascara, not the tube that’s two bucks in Lane 4.

My shoes are dirty and outdated, but that’s how I like them. I like these shoes. They’re comfortable. Why do I need new, expensive, fashionably appealing shoes in order for someone to say, “Hey dogg, you look nice today”?

And why is it that whenever I get deathly bored and slather cheap, pore-clogging makeup all over my face everyone suddenly says, “Wow, you look pretty!”? Since when is “pretty” about whale blubber and cocoa butter?

I’ll tell you one thing, though. I most definitely am not crying about some stupid XY.

Definitely not.

I’m crying for all the whales that have to give up their fatty insulation so that some fugly anorexic super bitch can paint herself pretty every freaking day, giving him something halfway decent to oggle all the time.

Seriously, I’m not leaking saltwater over a guy.

I just think it’s cruel and unfair that the fat-endowed marine life population doesn’t even get the slightest warning that they’ll soon be on a cosmetics endcap at K-Mart.

He could have at least broken it to me gently, you know? We’ve been friends since the George Bush/Al Gore debacle.

I mean come the Bette Midler on.

I spill my blood, guts, and viscera out to this guy and he throws down the “Let’s just be friends” card without a second thought?

It’s just … it’s common courtesy to ease someone into heartbreak, not smash it over their head like a whiffleball bat.

You know what? I’m going to take my $1.99 checkout Lane 4 mascara and chuck it right at her big, stupid square head.

This is literally an excerpt from my journal, so it's a little different when it comes to writing style.

AzureGal BRONZE, Malacca, Florida
GREAT! it sounds so real and natural! Okay, maybe it is.. real. Get ur journal published!!

Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

Fredwardness-

In my defense, just because it isn't your taste in writing doesn't make it weird.

I will admit that everyone is entitled to their own opinion though, and sorry if my comment somehow came across as offensive.

BTW I would say this article is awesome for the same reasons you would call it weird. That is my opinion. I hope that answers your question.

TemptedFiction, Grayson, Georgia

A hard part in life is pushing yourself to perfection. Whats even harder is realizing that it's an impossible goal to reach. -created by me-

I really enjoyed reading this story, it was good :) From a fiction to fiction writer, I wanted to know if you could read my story I posted called Rewind, by me Tempted Fiction. I've written more but I wanted to see if others would enjoy it. So can you please read and comment it. Thanks <3

ventiereb said...
it was a tiny bit confusing cuz it really sounds like its for a boy but the message come across nice words but i like your other ones better :)

1COR13 PLATINUM, Anchor Point, Alaska

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimmi Hendrix

you are right people do look better without makeup. If ppl can accept you for who you truly and naturally are then they are the ppl that are worth your time.

KarianaGold PLATINUM, Tucson, Arizona

The grass may be greener on the other side but sometimes when you get there you realize that he flowers were prettier back home.

I love this and I have read a lot of your other stuff. You have a good style, very diverse. You relate things to other things everyone can understand. AWESOME JOB I LOVED IT!!! CHeck out some of my stuff

swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois

"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

I love this piece it is great i feel the same way what agravated me most is that he said that he never had to find who i really am what you see is what you get then he goes for a girl with so uch makeup it makes me want to puke oh well GREAT JOB keep writing

XOXOhaloXOXO GOLD, Ellsworth, Maine

I'm the author of my life and, unfortunately, I'm writing in pen=]

omg totally not wat i expected but that is really awesome. i totally agree on the whole $20 mascara thing. i think people look their best without makeup!

Showchoir2012 SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana

"yes we are our fathers sons and daughters but we are not their choices" -Poetry Slam Knock Knock
"Knock Knock, who's their?, WE ARE!"

omg that was fn great! dude you took the words right out of my mouth! omg LOVE IT!

StarsMoon said...
StarsMoon, Lehi, Utah
:) I like this alot! And I feel the exact same way, why buy makeup for freakin 20 bucks when u can look just as good in cheaper stuff?! :) and its really cool of u to put something up thats more from ur journal, it says that u like who u r and dont care what people think. :) thnx! PeAcE oUt :)(:

StarsMoon said...
StarsMoon, Lehi, Utah
haha :) its refreshing to know not all guys are totally and completely clueless! lol :)

lightbearer GOLD, North Bloomfield, Ohio
as a guy, i loved this. and i agree with you. coming from a family of mostly all woman, i have learned to understand a few things.

pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri

"Life is like a roller coaster. When you don't know what to do buckle up, close your eyes, and enjoy the ride."

good point. he was an a hole anyway.

writingrox BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore)

Maybe some boys are just shallow and just want to see the outer beauty, not the inner beauty.

Lady_Whatsit BRONZE, Two Mountains, Other

"Come what may"

Epic. Simply epic. I wear the cheap make up too. Good job!

dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois

play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

very nice, ive had guys dump me for a girl who wears too much make up and is skinnier than me, so i know how you feel! very good with the similies

pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri

lol. im in the same boat. everyone's always like. Put some foundation on Kristin, take off the spectacles. You'll look magnificent. But i'd have to squint to even see myself in the mirror.

pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri

this is extremely superb!!! I can relate to every single thing you just stated. My boyfriend just dumped me Wed. for a girl who wears more than one sea mammal. It was harsh. You'll get through it. Just don't stop writing. P.S. why do guys like people who wear so much makeup you can't even see their true face?? just pondering.

Dancing_Shadows SILVER, Franklin, New Hampshire
This is absolutely amazing. It's not all over the place, you even it out very nicely. Well done =]

Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

This is awesome! I can't believe you wrote this in your journal and it turned out so inspiring and meaningful.

LOL my journal entries are more like, "Today was good. The end."