Closed | Teen Ink

Closed

By SarahWrites48 SILVER, New York City, New York
SarahWrites48 SILVER, New York City, New York

Our lives are filled with figurative doors.

People who are optimists say that when one door closes, another one opens. A constant line of doors creaking open and slamming shut.

Right now I was trapped between two doors. Figurative doors. In truth, there was a wall behind me and a set of bars in front. The bars were technically a door, but that was beside the point.

And yes, there were walls to my left and right.

Although that goes without saying. Otherwise it wouldn't be a very good room.

So, I sat there, trying to stop contemplating figurative doors and my life. That was easier said than done.

The other door had closed behind me long ago, and currently I was still trying to turn the knob of the next.

The knob always stayed shiny and appealing in my mind’s eye, but it just wasn't opening.

Now I was rambling. I really was going mad in here.

Speaking of which, how long had I even been in here? What time was it? Even though those things were trivial, I suddenly wished I had a clock. Or a calendar.

Something, anything, to keep track of the time.

Time was just a marker. It still is. Now-

I really did have to stop being philosophical. Instead, I focused on what I was going to do when they let me go.
If they let me go.

I hadn't really thought about that before. What had I been doing all this time?

Being an optimist probably would have helped right now.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath as my surroundings melted away. There it was. That door again.
Great, now it wasn't just following me in my dreams. Is a door even capable of following a person?
No, following wasn't the right word. I was making this all up. I was imagining the door.
Still, when I heard a click and the bars swung back, the door stayed.

The knob was as shiny and appealing as ever.

Why?

I wouldn't know.

I just let myself be led away. Maybe the door that had closed behind me was my last one.