Summer | Teen Ink

Summer

March 17, 2009
By anyandallart BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
anyandallart BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 4 photos 1 comment

“Sarah, Sarah, check it out!” I looked up to see a boy with tousled brown hair stick his finger in my direction. A girl holding a candy bar skipped to his side. She had a long, loose braid with hair the same color as him and wore a yellow sundress.

“Aw, it’s so cute.” She bent down and started towards me. I backed away nervously.

“Here, birdie, birdie. C’mon.” The girl slowly stuck a finger out using her free hand and made a clicking sound. She turned around to look at the boy.

“I think he likes me.”

“They usually don’t stay this long. I bet he smells the chocolate.”

“Nuh-uh. He likes me. You can tell.”

“Whatever.” He glanced at the girl, then back to me, and a smile slowly crept over his face.

“I’ll be right back.”

“Where are you going?” she called out. He ran off, kicking clouds of dirt up into the air. I backed away more.

“It’s okay,” she whispered. “He’s gone now.” I’d hoped she’d leave with him, although I was still relieved that he was gone.

“I think you like me.”

She watched me intently. I listened to her breathe and nervously watched the shadows of the branches above dance on her feet.

Suddenly, I caught sight of the boy in the distance, running in our direction. The girl didn’t seem to notice until he jumped in front of me, inches away from my body.

Startled, I flew off, the girl’s cries and the boy’s laughter fading behind me as I went further and further into the sky.