Till Death Do Us Part | Teen Ink

Till Death Do Us Part

By Ashton_Nakamori BRONZE, Metatirie, Louisiana
Ashton_Nakamori BRONZE, Metatirie, Louisiana

“VALLLLLLL!!!!” The blissful silence broken by the shriek of a pubescent male is all that is heard for blocks. The male then darts across the empty street to get to his companion of the other sex. Once the male is within arms distance of the female, the male’s palms immediately crash onto his knees for the support of his unathletic body and lungs.
“What is it, Vic?” The female did not even move a muscle since this happened every day. “And what is your excuse this time?” A hint of annoyance is in the females statement and on her face.
The male’s copper eyes shined while his smile slowly began to twist. The golden nest located on top of the male’s head was slowly being ruffled and put back into place by the male’s hands.
“Whatever do you mean my sweet, sweet valentine?” Words that came out of the male’s mouth were laced with a sarcastic drip that the female knew too well.
“Stop, Victor. You know how much I hate it when you call me that,” The female’s hand drifted to her died pale lavender locks, and it began to twist and pull certain strips into their regular place.
“Do you know what today is?” Victor’s sudden change of the conversation stuck the female with suspicious, for he would never do such a thing unless a huge event was taking place.
“Friday, right? Your birthday is not for a few months, and your brother was last week.” The female decided to entertain the male by answering his questions even though she wanted to ask why the sudden change.
“Do you not remember Valentine’s Day? When lovers give each other gifts just to exchange their love.” Victor’s eyes lit up from the mention of the holiday, and his body began bouncing with excitement for the day ahead, “I wonder….. how many gifts will I get today? Do you know, Valentina?”
“Why would I even care about an idiotic day such as Valentine’s. It holds no importance in my life, and It. Never. Will,” the female's words came out with a tone of disgust for the holiday that she so dearly hated. The pair of friends began their walk to school where no present would await the male unlike all of the gifts the female would be given.
“Cause it’s the day to find true love,” Victor began blubbering on and on about true love which he had never experienced. The male’s eyes began light with a new goal of finding the love that he truly deserved.
“Yeah, right. You will find true love the day I find sleep,” Valentina slowly began to see their school a block in front of them, and she stopped her feet once she noticed that Victor was too immersed in his conversation with himself.
Victor all the sudden turned back and screamed at the top of his lungs, “VALENTINA, DID YOU STOP DUE TO MY GORGEOUS LOOKS?”
The female’s eyes looked blank while she said in a monotone voice, “ Who would stop because of your looks? I certainly would not.” The female walked after the statement came out of her mouth. Once the pair arrived at school, they split with the female going up the stairs while the male continuing to walk down the hallway.
The female detected some of her acquaintances filling the stairs with boisterous, unnecessary noise, and yet the female still desired to retain the silence around her which was unusual. Once the female made it up the stairs, she turned right into her homeroom where it was already filled with color delights all ready to be given or gotten.
Valentina ignored the constant chatter of her classmates with her head faced to her shoes and swiftly went to find her seat. Valentina soon began to observe the colorful gifts that were present on the surface of her desk. The female began to realize that these were the precious gifts that she acquired every year from different people all helplessly in love. While going through the gifts that she had been given, she had a glimpse of a paper covered in maroon liquid.
‘Is this another death threat? I have never gotten one on Valentine’s,”Valentina’s memories began to come back of the time five months ago in which she got a threat from a girl that Valentina was ‘stealing’ her crush. After the feeling of nostalgia left her she decided that reading the note was the only way to figure out what was on it.
Dear Ms. Valentina,
You truly are lovely. Every part of you is absolutely stunning, but I, of course, cannot get close to your lovely form without that disgusting little boy being next to you twenty-four seven. I very much need to be beside you if we ever want our relationship to blossom into something beautiful. I decided that letting the little boy go to bed is the best way to end this whole mess. Please come by and see what I have accomplished in the girl’s locker room in the gym.
-------------
The breath of the female became erratic with her tongue flinging out every five seconds to lick her chapped and broken lips. Once the female could slightly process the mess that she got her best friend into, she ran. The female understood that this could all be a prank, but by the strong scent of iron on the paper, she figured that it just might not be.
Closer to the gym than expected, the girl paused her run to check out the place. The female noticed that the obnoxious noises that always followed her everywhere were now nowhere to be found, and she panicked.
Fight of flight was always the first case scenario when faced with danger, but there was always another option. The option that just happened to be the only response the female could give and that was protected and be wary. Being wary was the least of the female’s worries because the life that belonged to her best friend could be taken away at any minute.
Arriving at the gym was simple, and so was pushing open the door to the gym. Finally pulling the door of the girls’ locker room was the most threatening and complex task that the female ever has to complete. Pulling on the pale lavender strings that were soaked in water that was not often located on the female’s head the female pulled open the navy blue door to the girls’ locker room.
What was waiting was a surprise to the female. Everything in the room was clean and sparkling except one thing. The large floor length mirror was covered in the same fluid that the flimsy piece of paper was covered in.
The female shocked at what liquid was present on the mirror froze once more and soon darted around running back towards the door. Up close towards the door, the female began to press on it and suffered the cruel realization that the door which only went out was blocked. She began pushing with all of her might until the breath she had just gained back was gone once again.
Then, a noise no louder than a mouse was heard from inside the mirror. The female having no clue what to do keep pulling harder and harder until another one. This time the noise was as loud as a baby’s cry, and it was as like it as well.
The lights suddenly flickered off witrh the noises in the background still echoing. Finally, the female’s eyes started to close with her breaths becoming smaller and smaller.
‘If only I did not love you,’ the female thought with her last ounce of energy left.