Tipping Point | Teen Ink

Tipping Point

May 29, 2019
By Anonymous


A screaming comes across the sky. The light fades as a shifting, multicolored mass of black overtakes all that they knew. Darkness pours from above and seeps into every corner, reaching and grabbing for anything it can devour.

The lonely journal keeper paces by a window, watching everything unfold from above. She watches three red cloaked birds take flight, diving headfirst into the relentless darkness. The bard’s song plays as she sees them fight for everything that they know, a never-ending battle finally approaching a finale. She knows that this is it, this is the tipping point, the end of the stolen century. This is the day of story and song, and they’re going to be amazing.


The author's comments:

I am submitting an 117 word short story titled “Tipping Point.” Using a found first sentence from Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow, I wrote about a scene from the podcast The Adventure Zone. In my story, three heroes choose to confront what they’ve been running from for over a century. It represents the inevitable moment that everyone must face at some point in their life: choosing to run and hide, or deciding to fight for what you believe in.