I'm On the Bleechers | Teen Ink

I'm On the Bleechers

December 11, 2009
By levi883 SILVER, Helena, Montana
levi883 SILVER, Helena, Montana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was the nerdy girl, with the large glasses, all AP classes, always doing homework. The only connection to popular world was the fact that the most popular boy in my senior class, Lucas, the quarter back of the Football team, total hotty, dating the captain of the cheerleading squad. Our bedroom windows were right across the fence from each other, very Romeo and Juliet. We’ve lived like this since the 6th grade. We used to be pretty good friends in middle school. We would sometimes shine lights to each other, then write on a paper and show it up, kind of like notes. I had a total crush. But then we went to high school and he was pulled to sports I was pulled into honors. We tried to stay friends for freshman year but it was too hard. We just fell apart. But my crush never fell. I’ve lusted after him for the past 2 years, with barely a word other than the occasional “hi” in the hallways. Lately I’ve been feeling brave, and working up to talking to him. It hasn’t been going very well. I always chicken out because he’s around his tall jock friends, or his snaky girlfriend. I usually walk up, and then freeze, they all look at me! I just turn around and leave. It was so embarrassing. One night when I was just sitting there doing homework, listening to unpopular indie music. I looked across the yard just as I usually do. But tonight, by chance, his curtains were opened. I saw him walking around in his green t shirt and pajama bottoms, having an argument with someone on the phone. I guessed it was Nikki, his twit of a girlfriend. He hung up the phone and looked out the window and saw me staring. He smiled and gave a little wave. I ran to get my paper. In big letters I wrote, “You ok?” He smiled and got his own pad of paper, and wrote, “Tired of drama.” With a grimace and a small laugh. I replied with “I’m Sorry?) He gave a little shrug and grinned. It’s now or never, I thought. With a final look, I wrote 3 simple words. “I LOVE YOU” When I looked up to show it, his curtains were closed, they were the color of his shirt. My heart sunk, I would never have that chance again, I thought. I needed something to cheer me up so I got up, turned up my music and started dancing. Right in front of the mirror, trying to make myself laugh. During my dance, I was thinking about how that Nikki didn’t deserve such an amazing guy as Lucas. Apparently everybody but him knew she was cheating on him. I wanted him so bad, I would treat him so much better, he belongs with me. As I romped around my room, singing into my hairbrush. I didn’t know that Lucas looked back. He gave a hearty laugh and closed the curtain once more. Every night for the next couple days Lucas and me wrote messages to each other, just like middle school. I never did get courageous enough to flash that note. As payback for closing the curtain the other night, I closed mine while he wrote. I then regretted it and wanted to know what he said. When I reopened it I saw he had closed his shades again. Now I was dying of curiosity. That Saturday, I was sitting on a bench outside our houses, in my warm, comfy sweater, when Lucas comes out and sits right next to me. For the first time in forever, we actually talked. It was great. I took notice of his messy hair, faded blue jeans, and Abercrombie shirt. When I asked him why he was out here, his answer made my insides crawl. “I’m actually waiting for Nikki. She just got a new car, and wants to take it out for a spin with me.” He put a strand of loose hair hair behind my ears. My heart melted. I couldn’t really comprehend what he was saying; I was too busy looking at him. He started laughing so he obviously told a joke, I laughed too. It was nice to see him smile; I don’t see that very often. Ugh that girl drove up a few minutes later. In a brand new red convertible. So unnecessary. He said cya as he climbed in. She told him to watch where he put his feet. Then pulled him into a long kiss. Obviously for my pain. He tried to pull back but she wouldn’t let him. When he finally broke free, she gave me this evil stare meant to say, “Back off”.
The next few weeks were pretty dull, still talking to Lucas every night through our windows. I was having to practice my clarinet a lot though, and he had football practice, the championship was coming up and the marching band was playing. I had to sound perfect for him. I practiced so much until finally it was game night. Our team was winning 42-14. It was a slaughter. I looked down and saw Nikki doing a stupid cheer. I tried to concentrate on my clarinet, not on gagging. Just then, Lucas scored the final touchdown and the crowd went wild, me especially. He was lifted up by his teammates, and he screamed loud enough for me to hear. He turned and was going to run to Nikki, but when he got to the cheerleading station, she was about an inch away from one of his teammates and about to kiss. They had a huge argument right there on the field. He yelled at her, and then walked away, I think they are over. Yes. A couple more weeks go by; I was studying for my finals. I looked across and saw he was wearing a tux shirt and tie. Oh yeah, tonight’s the senior prom. I wasn’t going. He wrote me a note asking if I was going. “No, studying.” His next note made me squirm. “Wish you were!” with that he grabbed his jacket and walked out. I took my glasses off and had an idea. He wanted me to go, I should go, I can tell him that I love him tonight! I went to my closet and found the dress I had made in sophomore year. It was white, and it flows. I put it on, It still fit. I hurried and grabbed my emergency contacts, and fixed my hair. I had to have my brother drive me to the hotel the prom was in. It had been going on for about an hour now, so nobody was at the door. I just walked in and went to the ballroom. When I walked in everybody by the door turned to look at the latecomer. They were shocked that I actually came, and looked pretty. I ignored them; I scanned the crowd for my boy’s face. I kept walking in, eventually I found him. He was by the punch with some of him jock friends. They pointed at me and told him to look. When he saw me he turned to the guys and gave them his punch. He started walking towards me when that gross thing stopped him, what she was wearing could barely be considered a dress. So much skin was showing. Apparently she was sorry and wanted to get back together. He told her he was on his way to me. She looked dumbfounded. Yes. She screamed WHAT then stared as he walked towards me. When he got to me, we didn’t say anything. I reached into my jeweled purse and pulled out a folded piece of paper. I unfolded for him to see it, it said “I LOVE YOU” It was wrinkled from weeks of abuse, such as being flung against the wall, cried on, etc. He smiled, then reached into his jacked and pulled out a similar folded up piece of paper. He unfolded it for me to see. It said “I LOVE YOU” My heart leapt. He leaned in for a kiss; I let him, my first kiss. With my ex best friend. Wow. I told you, you belong with me.


The author's comments:
I wrote this after the first time i saw the video for "You Belong With Me" by taylor swift, if you havent seen this, this piece will seem very pointless.