Saria's Song | Teen Ink

Saria's Song

By Kukura DIAMOND, Denver, Colorado
Kukura DIAMOND, Denver, Colorado

She stood on a rickety bridge, waiting for him to come. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t hold back the tears that rolled down her face. They fell, sparkling down into the abyss beneath her. Her hands gripped the rope edges as she waited.

Keep it together... you know this is for the best, she thought, pushing the strands of her vibrant green hair behind her ear. You always knew there were bigger plans for him...

Saria gripped the ropes tighter, becoming angry with herself that she was crying. She knew she should be happy for him, but, she couldn’t bear to lose him; the so called “boy without a faerie.”

“Link, why do you have to go now,” she whispered into the open air. The wind rushing through the trees was her only answer. After she heard of the Great Deku tree summoning him, she knew that it was finally time for him to go back to where he came from; the outside world.

She could remember the first day they had met. She had found him curled up in the tall grasses in the Lost Woods, the mysterious labyrinth that lead out from the Kokiri Forest , his face coated with dirt and tears. He was such a funny looking boy, with such pale skin and light hair; she had never seen anyone like him. She remembered him looking up at her in fear, and then burying his face back into the grasses.

“What’s wrong, boy?” she asked, bending down to his level.

He sniffled and wiped his face, smearing the dirt all over. “You’re not here to make fun of me too, are you?”

“Why would I make fun of you?” she laughed, sitting down next to him in the grass. Her giggling was bubbly and sweet, almost infectious to the boy, as he let a small grin cross his face.

“All the others do,” he said, his face falling again.

She put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him to her. “I won’t make fun of you,” she smiled wide. “I like you already! You’re different!”

“That’s the problem,” the boy said, looking down. “I don’t like being different. I just want to fit in.”

Saria’s nose twitched in frustration. “Why would you want to fit in when you can be yourself? I bet you are pretty unique, one-of-a-kind!” She took his hand. “Don’t try to fit in, boy,” she giggled.

The boy blushed at her touch and pulled his hand away quickly.

“What’s your name? Or, should I just keep calling you boy?” She laughed.

He chuckled too. “That’s better than what Mido calls me,” he said, his face falling back to a frown.

Saria rolled her eyes. I should have known Mido and his band of blubbering fools were behind this, she thought. “Who cares what Mido calls you; I want to know your name!”

When he looked directly at her, she became lost in his eyes. She had never seen anything like them; so blue, they reminded her of the calm surface of the small rivers that intertwined in Kokiri Forest. “My name’s Link,” he said, a tiny smile crossing his face.

Saria chuckled. He’s grown so much since then, she smiled.

The bridge began to sway back and forth as someone stepped on the old wooden planks that ran across the bridge. Saria bit her lip and put on the façade of her usual carefree, bubbly self.

“Saria!!” Link said, running towards her; she turned to face him. His hair was a mess and his face was coated in dirt and grime, yet that did not hide the enormous smile that crossed his lips. He ran to her and wrapped his arms around her. “Saria! Saria! Saria! Guess what?” he laughed while picking her up by the waist and spinning.

“Link,” Saria had to pause to laugh. “We’re on a bridge, be careful!”

Link set her down as a blush spread across his face. “Oops,” he said, scratching the back of his head in a sheepish manner. “But guess what, Saria?” he said, nearly bouncing up and down in his boots.

She crossed her arms behind her and tilted her head. “What?” she asked.

“The Great Deku tree said I’m supposed to save Hyrule!! Can you believe it?!” he exclaimed, smiling wider and wider.

Saria’s face fell slightly. I was right... he does have to leave, she thought. “That’s... great, Link,” she said, her voice growing softer. “Really great.”

Link’s smile disappeared. “You’re not very happy for me,” he said, looking down. “I thought you of all people would be happy for me.”

Saria’s stomach twisted inside. “No, Link! I didn’t mean it like that!” She took his hand. “I am happy for you! I always knew there were bigger things headed for you! But... I’m going to miss you, Link,” she said, trying her best to keep her composure.

Link wrapped his arms around her. “You’re silly, you know that?” he said “Saria, I’ll miss you too... but we’ll always be best friends, right?” he said, smiling widely.

Saria nodded. “Of course! You’re my best friend, Link! Always have been, always will be.”

“Then there’s nothing to worry about!” Link laughed, hugging her tighter. “I’ll be back soon, Saria... I promise.”

Saria held back the tears that were beginning to well up in her eyes. She took a step away from him, out of his arms, and looked down. “I want you to have this,” she said, holding her most prized possession out to him; her ocarina.

“I can’t take that!” he exclaimed, pushing it back at her.

“Link, I want you to have this, so whenever you play it, you’ll think of me,” she said, looking back up and him and trying to smile. He stared at her for a moment, two, and then nodded, taking the ocarina from her and slipping it into his tunic.

“I’ll protect it with my life,” Link said softly; he looked down. “Saria, I have to leave soon... I have to reach a new town somewhere out there before dark,”

Saria bit her lip. “I know, Link,”

He closed the distance between them and hugged her as tightly as he could. “I’m going to miss you so much, Saria. I’ll be back sooner than you think!” he tried to laugh.

Saria hugged him back. “I know you will... I’ll miss you too...So, I’m not saying good bye!” she laughed quietly.

Link softly chuckled. “Neither am I.”

As the two split apart, tears began to fall down their faces. Link turned and began to walk away into an unknown land, as Saria turned to reenter the only land she’d ever known. As Link was barely able to be seen, Saria turned around to see him, to watch his small figure disappear into the trees.

“I love you, Link,” she whispered, as she turned around and returned to the forest that she would never leave.

All characters in the story belong to Nintendo; this story was only meant to parody Nintendo's "Ocarina of Time"

Odyesseus said...
No because you died in auditions

Link said...
This is not what happened,I know this because I am Link,Hero of Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tome_of_Arms GOLD, Moreno Valley, California

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions."

Brilliant! I love this story, and it's really interesting. Great job on hooking the reader in, good dialouge, and great description. Very nice story.