Little Red | Teen Ink

Little Red

By Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri
Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

The wolf crept slowly forward. He growled, almost seeming to taunt Red with his blood stained teeth.

Red screamed.

She paused, hoping her cry would be answered. But no response was given to her.

In the moonlight the wolf's eyes seemed to glow with the ghosts of his past victims.

She screamed again; now, causing her arms and legs to tremble with terror.

Red took a step back. Her heel hit the base of a sturdy oak tree, its long branches seemed to enshroud her. She pressed her back, hard against the bark of the tree hoping it would consume her.

A single tear broke free, it rolled down her cheek and then stopped. Oh why had she not obeyed her Grandmother? Why had she gone into the forbidden forest?

Red opened her mouth, trying to scream for the third time. But no sound came. She closed her eyes slowly excepting her fate.

The wolf snarled again. It was hungry.

Red only hoped that now in the middle of this dark, and forboding place her end would be quick.

She could almost imagine his teeth sinking in to her skin. Allowing the blood to pour. She breathed in deeply trying to calm herself...The wolf lunged.

Red braced herself waiting to cry out in pain. But it was the wolf who howled in pain. He landed a foot away, as if some unknown invisible force had kicked him.

The wolf whimpered, looking distastfully up at Red, then scampered away like a little puppy.

Little Red Riding Hood gasped, just now remembering the red cloak she wore. The red wool hood her grandmother had given her. Of course. How stupid! She had forgotten about the magic in the wool that protected her. In the terror she had forgotten.

Red slumped down to the ground, letting out a muffled sob. She hugged herself allowing the tears of joy to flow freely off her face.

The story of Little Red Riding Hood inspired me to do this piece. I accept criticism and would appreciate it if you comment/rate my work. Please don't be to harsh :)

Longlegs GOLD said...
Longlegs GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee
Wow. I wrote a changed story of Red Riding Hood too (please check it out). I can't believe how different yours is from mine! So suspenseful.

Naruto101 said...
Naruto101, Pickens, South Carolina
i LOVED it. it was a great story i loved all the tenstion in it

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

Thanks for commenting. I really appreciate your incite. I will definitaly try this!

LinRouge BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"...I had probably realized the truth. I just didn't want to admit it.
Deep in my heart, I wished that aliens, time travelers, ghosts, demons, evil organizations, or espers might just pop up in front of me one day..." - Kyon

I like very much that it's set in the moment. However, your approach to this moment makes it a bit choppy.  When focusing on a moment and making that the entirety of a story, you need to really hit every single detail because that is what the moment is made of. Yes, you did describe various major moments but you need to go more in depth. What is tree bark really like, besides just "hard"? Does she smell anything? What is the air like? These are all important details that enhance a moment-concentrated story.

Also, though it is an interesting twist at the end, it seems very deus ex machina because of its abrupt delivery. Though it is a plot twist, you cannot just drop it at the end. There needs to be a natural build up, subtle though that may be.

Keep on writing. I think you're on to something!

Zaraclaylime DIAMOND, Chicago, Illinois

So I suppose my simple advice is: Love your life. I only say that because your life is what you have to give.
-Tom Hiddleston

Cool! You should write the whole story like that, and maybe a sequel.

selahoverrated GOLD, Mt Sidney, Virginia
ive never heard the story told like that but it was really cool like that:)

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

I understand what you mean but I was writing for myself. I dont think of an audience when I write just my own personal enjoyment! Also, I was trying to make it less descriptive so that you would have to use your imagination when you read it! But thanks for the comment I will think about that next time I write something.

Lacer GOLD said...
Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas

The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

it's good writing. But it's very simple in it's structure, very chopped and simple dialouge, like a diary.
This is like writing to yourself, instead of an audience. I'm not trying to be mean, just helpful :/
(writing to yourself is a hard habit to get out of)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

That was a very powerful passage!  My only criticism is that you should add a bit more description and paragraph less often.  Other than that, excellent work!

billlover420 GOLD, Justin, Texas

Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery.  People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody. ~J.D. Salinger,The Catcher in the Rye,

this is beyond stunning you did amazeing at this u are soo very tattlented <3

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

Thanks for commenting! It means alot.

Smile-And-Wave-Boys. SILVER, Rotherhithe, Other

"Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
— Oprah Winfrey

Wow, this is soo good!  The description is amazing, makes you feel as if you're actually there-I'm really impressed :D

BeautysBeast GOLD, Okinawa, Other

BETTER TO BE YOURSELF AND BE NOBODY THAN BE SOMEONE ELSE AND SOMEBODY ;)

haha okay and thanx :o :P

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

:D Thanks! If and when I write more I'll let you know.

BeautysBeast GOLD, Okinawa, Other

omg!!!! you have got to write more, I beg of you!!!!!!!! O.O It was very descriptive

MonaLisaSmile GOLD, North Liberty, Indiana

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there. --Adam Young

More please!

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

Thanks! But I have no idea where the magical cloak came from :)

Artemis--Sherwood GOLD, Hemet, California

"We're all stories in the end."

I like your creativity, especially since I know I wouldn't have thought of a magic cloak. *wishes she had one too*

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

yes, who are you?

flyingpinkgiraffes, Chardon, Ohio
okay, i'm just going to say that i LOVE fairytale retellings, i write them all the time, and little red riding hood is like my favorite one to do...  well anyways this was great.  at first i was a little dissapointed because i thought you weren't going to change anything about the origonal story, you know the this-is-what-really-happened kind of thing?  but i was really happy with the ending.  I would have liked something more in depth though, but im not complaining.