I'm Sorry (Hunger Games Short Story) | Teen Ink

I'm Sorry (Hunger Games Short Story)

March 24, 2012
By bibala774 PLATINUM, South Plainfield, New Jersey
bibala774 PLATINUM, South Plainfield, New Jersey
38 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we've touched"


“Katniss.” I heard Peeta whispering in the dense forest. “Katniss.” I heard him call out again. Peeta had been with the capitol for over a month, but I knew it was him. Again he called, and I became frantic running through the woods following his voice.

“Peeta! Peeta! Where are you?” looking around, my surroundings began to transform “Peeta!” I turned to my left, but suddenly heard a rustle in the leaves to my right. I whipped around only to catch a glimpse of blonde hair, when I was jolted awake.

I was soaked in sweat and their were tears streaming down my face. Gales hands were on my shoulders trying to wake me from the recurring nightmare. “Katniss? It was only a dream.” I could see the worry and sadness fill his face. He already had a cool rag in hand and began to wipe the sweat and tears from my face. I hated seeing him like this.

“Gale… you don't have to do this.” Ever since the end of the games and Peeta’s capture Gales been with me every night, waking me from the terrors that threaten my dreams. It wasn’t fair to him, because I knew that, although I never spoke of Peeta aloud anymore, his name was all I said while asleep.

“Whataya you want me to do? Sit around and watch while you cry and scream in your sleep. It’s not healthy.” Their was a tone of sarcasm and anger hidden in his words.

“It’s not healthy for you either Gale!” I dont know why I yelled at him but I immediately regretted it, he was only trying to help.

“Whats that supposed to mean?” I didn’t want to answer him so I only put my head down, but Gale wasn’t dropping it. “Whats that supposed to mean Katniss.” anger growing more prominent in his voice.

“You know what it means.”

“No, I really don’t. So please feel free to enlighten me.”

I didn’t want to say it but Gale was pushing me and he wasn’t gonna stop. “Fine. Its not healthy you to sleep in my room every night just to wait for me to wake you up screaming for Peeta, Gale. Is that what you wanted to hear me say?”

“Yes.” he was looking me directly in the eyes but I couldn't hold his gaze any longer. It hurt to much.

“I’m sorry.” At this Gale looked shocked.

“Sorry for what? Volunteering for Prim? Loving Peeta? Saving my life?” he paused but I had no answer. “You have nothing to be sorry for Catnip, “I’m the one who should be sorry.”

I sighed and replied “Sorry for what?”

This time Gale was the one to look away “Sorry, for not making you mine when I still had the chance.” I couldn’t speak, or I had no idea what to say either way nothing was coming out, “Say something.”

Stumbling for words “I… can’t.”

“Say something.” His voice became stern, and I began to cry.

“I can’t… because… I knew if I never entered the games we’d…” I stopped myself, I couldn't say it aloud, but I didn’t have to, because Gale finished for me.

“We’d be together.” The tears were now pouring from my eyes but I tried to compose myself as he continued. “But you love me too, you just love him more.” When the words hung in the air I realized they were true but I couldn't deal to think or discuss it.

Shoving the entire night into a box I put in the very back of my head under lock and key. I rolled myself back into the covers. “I’m tired Gale.”

“Goodnight Katniss.” And as the lights went out I could just catch light bounce off a tear rolling down his face.

The author's comments:
This piece takes place anytime between the ending of the third quarter quell and the return of Peeta. Not everyone may like this depending on who they root for, but I hope you do.