My Last Words | Teen Ink

My Last Words

July 14, 2012
By cayaTW PLATINUM, Yuma, Arizona
cayaTW PLATINUM, Yuma, Arizona
29 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who forget history will often repeat it


My Last Words

Thursday December 14, 2053 3:30 A.M.

It's been about a month since I've been put inside these colorless monotonous walls. I miss the exhilaration of walking out into the fresh, silent, abandoned world even if it was doleful. I could always find comfort in it. I miss glimpsing the stars above. I miss breathing in refreshing air. I miss having an audience that dies for my next novel. I hate the day television was invented because that very day the world became meaningless. That very day, the human species became extinct. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with it.

I can't stand another day of torture or as they call it treatment. Yesterday was an atrocity because I gave in. it's hard to fight against machines who are forcing you to stare at a screen that takes up the entire wall of the room. I endured twelve consecutive hours of television. And I can't imagine what I'll have to endure ahead. It is unfair that I was put in here when I'm the only sane one out there. I'm the only one who hasn't regressed. I don't depend on television. I read and I write and I don't conform. My mind isn't poisoned like others. I swear that I spent the other day laughing at this irony. Yeah put all the sane people left in asylums.

I feel choked within these insipid walls, and any moment I'm going to suffocate. This place is emptier and eerier than the streets out there. The silence is more profound. The echoes are more exaggerated. The shocking thing is that I've met one other sane person here. The rest are all machines. She was also a writer and had also been night- strolling when she was arrested. Her name was Letty, and she was put down for being an anomaly and a danger to the human race. It was decided that no treatment could cure her illness.

I probably don't have much time left before they murder me too. One thing's for sure. I will not let them brainwash me. I would rather die than let them win. Sure, I could just go along with it and pretend that I'm cured, but I'm going to be honest with myself. It's not worth it. I feel as good as dead. Even if I get out of this place, what do I have to look forward to but silent nights? There's nothing waiting for me out there. Still I rather die out there than in here, but that would mean me giving in me being defeated. No thanks. I rather keep my dignity no matter how cheesy that sounds.

It saddens me how there was nobody out there to save the world. It saddens me that people did nothing. They just let the screens control them and accepted this form of living. There's one saying that hasn't been wrong yet: “those who forget history will often repeat it”. Surely people aren't that ignorant to fall for this again because it's probably happened before. I hate being a part of the humankind. I've always hated it. I always knew something like this was bound to happen with people being so arrogant and all. Chances are these are my last words. I just have to say that people got what they deserved. I don't deserve this, but life isn't fair. Life has never been fair. I'm going to look at the bright side, and say that I hope the humans left die out soon so that the world could be at peace again.

Leonard Mead


The author's comments:
For English class, we were supposed to write a diary entry by Leonard Mead and explain what would happen next in Ray Bradbury’s The Pedestrian. You probably need to read it to understand it.