Phantom of the Opera: 5 years later | Teen Ink

Phantom of the Opera: 5 years later

By LilithNyx BRONZE, Seneca, South Carolina
LilithNyx BRONZE, Seneca, South Carolina

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends"

Phantom of the Opera Five Years Later

Characters:
The Phantom
Christine
Raoul

The scene opens and Raoul and Christine are sitting at a table, eating silently in their run down shack of a home, as Raoul had run out of money gambling it away as Christine shopped to her heart's content.

Raoul: (Throws his fork down and shout angrily) Dammit Christine, I'm sick of living like this! If you hadn't gone shopping every damn day, we wouldn't be in this mess! Eating eggs and toast with a plastic fork... I was a rich man, and now it's all gone!
Christine: (quietly) Perhaps the fault lies not with my shopping, but with your gambling.
Raoul: Are you getting smart with me? How dare you speak to me this way. I'm the man, I can do whatever I damn well please! (sighs and shakes his head, starting to calm down a little) I can't keep doing this, Christine. I think we need to get a divorce. We've been non stop fighting for two years, and I just can't take it anymore. I regret the moment I ever decided to save you from that Phantom.
Christine: As I regret ever choosing you over the Phantom. At least with the Phantom I could stand to listen to him sing to me. You've got the high pitched voice of a five year old girl.
Raoul: (slaps Christine)How DARE you talk to me like this.
Christine: (runs offstage, yelling) How dare YOU touch me this way! I'll have the police on you!

3 years later

Phantom: Christine, I heard about you and Raoul. Are you alright?
Christine: Yes, I'm alright... I just wish I hadn't fallen for Raoul the way I did. It was a stupid mistake.
Phantom: I know this might be sudden, but (he takes her hands in his) Christine, I still love you. I always have. Every second of every day, I think about you, and I think about how empty I've felt since you left me for Raoul. Please, Christine... (he starts singing) Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime. Lead me, save me from my solitude. Say you want me with you, here beside you. Anywhere you go, let me go to. Christine, that's all I ask of you.
Christine: (she slips her hands out of his, backing up and shaking her head) No. I can't. Every time I see you, I just think back to the monster I saw of you. The one that was willing to kill anyone and everyone to get what it wanted. No... Any tears I might have shed for you grow cold... And turn to tears of hate! (she starts to run before the phantom grabs her and wraps his arm around her neck, squeezing tightly to block off air)
Phantom: If I can't have you, dear Christine.. then no body will. (he snaps her neck, and drops her lifeless body onto the pavement before realizing what he's done. He starts to scream in agony and despair as he tries to resuscitate her, but failing. He carries her body offstage left)

Later

Raoul: Phantom.. have you seen Christine?
Phantom: No... Why? Has something happened to her?
Raoul: I haven't heard word from her in so long... I'm not sure... what happened to her...
Phantom: (starts to get nervous, before bursting out, talking very quickly and telling him the truth) I killed her. I confessed my love to her and she yet again turned me down and I was so angry, and I just snapped her small, milky white neck... I buried her body in the basement of the Opera house where we met.
Raoul: (starts to get very angry and yell at the phantom, can be ad-libbed “you monster, how could you, what have you done” etc. before he starts to calm) Wait... You know? I never really... Felt that intimate with her... She was always so withdrawn, I think, and I guess... Now that I'm thinking about it... I'm really not that angry... But I also realize...
Phantom: Yes?
Raoul: I love you. I don't know what this feeling is inside me, but I want to protect you, and be with you. What do you say? At least give it a shot?
Phantom: Well... It's gotta be better than Christine, right? I mean, she could never make up her mind, who she wanted... Why not. It can't hurt.

3 years later

The Phantom and Raoul are lying on the sofa, watching the Phantom of the Opera movie and laughing at how “fake” they thought it was when something appears at the window. The form is a silhouette of a woman, and the lights start to concentrate more on her. As more light floods onto the silhouette, we see Christine, with a broken neck and dirt and mud all over her. She has her hand to the glass and an evil look upon her face.

Christine: I'll get you for this, Phantom. And you too, Raoul. You can't lock me out forever. You have to come out of your house some time, and when you do, I will be waiting, and I will have my unmerciful revenge on you. Raoul, for leaving me... and Phantom for killing me. As God as my witness, I will have my revenge, this I swear. (she laughs manically)

Phantom: Did you hear something, darling?
Raoul: No. You were probably just hearing things. Don't worry about it, let's just keep laughing at this movie.
Christine: (walks to the front door which is all glass and places her muddy hand on it, sliding it down to leave a smear of mud, then writing in the mud the words “I'm Watching You... -C”) You will curse the day you did this to me. Both of you. (she walks away from the door and hides in the bushes, holding a glistening object. She rings the doorbell, and Raoul gets up to get it. He opens the door. The scene goes black)

I'm a huge Phantom of the Opera fan, and I wanted to twist the story a bit. It's a humorous/dark twist on a classic tale!
I do hope you enjoy it!

Oh, I definitely did, it was just a fun little project I did for ELA so xD It's not professional, and it's very rough. Glad you liked it!

I like this, and because of that... I like you...... Little bit funky with all the 3 year gaps (people suddenly developed TECHNOLOGY n all dat), but I hope/guess you knew that.