Only Pity | Teen Ink

Only Pity

By Mrs_Babble_Dolittle SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
Mrs_Babble_Dolittle SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

"What we call our destiny is truly our character and that character can be altered."
"If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

---set when Aeneas goes to the Underworld to visit Anchises---

As Aeneas descended the shattered staircase, he could not help but observe that the Underworld seemed to take on the melancholic characteristics of its inhabitants. It was dark, gloomy, and overwhelmingly lonely. So lonely, in fact, that it made the concept of love seem quite foreign. It therefore came as a sharp pang to Aeneas that his father and dead comrades should call this wretched setting "home," and that Aeneas himself shall one day too.
Sibyl, guessing Aeneas' thoughts, rebuked him with gentle words of wisdom: "Do not condemn the Underworld so, Aeneas. Souls come to the Underworld to be cleansed, and then take flight to the earth plane. In this way, death cannot exist without life, nor life without death."
And so Sibyl quieted Aeneas' thoughts. Without a word, he continued to walk through the Underworld's narrow, cave-like walls until he reached a large empty plane. In its center stood Aeneas' tragic Dido.
Dido was silent. She walked in slow, aimless circles around the empty plane, her eyes subverted and her head low. Most notably, she cruelly ignored Aeneas when he approached her, refusing to grant him any words. Though Sibyl beckoned for him to continue to Anchises, horror and wonder rendered Aeneas incapable of moving.
He whispered: "Dear Dido, what horrors Jove bestows upon you! What crime, what sin, have you committed to deserve this fate? " On his hands and knees, Aeneas, implored her: "Dear Dido, tragic Dido, I am a suppliant to your words!"
And finally, Dido lifted her head, gazing at Aeneas with wonder, and whispered: "Aeneas, it is not I who committed an enduring crime, but you. When you swore those marital vows to me, knowing fate prohibited you from upholding them, you condemned me. With despair I watched as the life I had constructed came tumbling down around me, contorting eventually into my fateful pyre. And yet, still, I pity you. I pity you because it is you and not me who must bear the burden of founding a city, of giving rise to eternally more war and suffering, of sending more souls to this wretched place. I have, during my time in the Underworld, met the terrors that will befall Rome: corrupt kings, traitors, and violent commanders! And so it is not myself I pity, but you, my burdened Aeneas."
And so Dido fell silent, nothing left to say.

I read the Aeneid by Virgil in Literature class. It inspired me to reimagine the scene in which Aeneas descends to the Underworld to visit his father, Anchises. However, I focus only on his interactions with Dido. Through this, I hope to delve deeper into the character of Dido.