Oedipus Rex (fan)Fiction | Teen Ink

Oedipus Rex (fan)Fiction

Dear Chorus,

Oedipus only truly believes in himself. He doesn't believe in other people's good morals such as my own. He taunts the very idea of anything beyond himself. As I and many others have observed, he has ¨a temper that rage[s] as wildly as his will¨(Bartel 3) and ¨has made me speak against my own will¨(Bartel 3). Even when I try to hold my tongue he drones on about things I can help argue against, ¨even if I breathe no word of them¨(Bartel 3). He killed his own father, the king, and yet he denies it. He should be punished for what he did and be de-throned, yet he gets away with it. This is injustice and unfair, he needs to come forward for what he did. He can do this!

Yours truly,
Teiresias

Writer’s Memo
For my letter I took a part from the debacle between Oedipus and Teiresias. This part was tense and you could read how mad Oedipus was. I also wanted to show how bad of a king Oedipus was. That’s why I wanted to include some urgency to it. I had it written to the Chorus because I feel like Teiresias is trying to contact people that have some insight and can try to explain to the other people of the kingdom. For not saying anything about his mother, I’m acting as if I don’t know that yet or it’s not as important as murder. That’s why this letter is mostly based around Oedipus’s homicidal tendencies.
Oedipus Rex Fan Fiction