Cursed Lass | Teen Ink

Cursed Lass

By Nighthawks18 SILVER, Palm Bay, Florida
Nighthawks18 SILVER, Palm Bay, Florida

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, I'll always get up after I fall. And whether I run, walk or have to crawl, I'll set my goals and achieve them all." -Chris Butler

“No, please!” I shrieked. The sailors arms were crushing me. I flailed and kicked as I screamed. Rain drops pelted my body. Lightning cracked across the sky. The thunder was deafening. “How could I cause this?” None of the men were listening to reason. They had made up their mind. I was the reason for the storm. I would be thrown into the sea.  They yelled for me to be tossed in. Others jeered at me and threw curses at me. My salty tears mixed with the fresh raindrops. My throat felt shredded from my screams. To them I was just a curse meant to kill them, so they would kill me before I could finish my “curse”.

I was drug over to the side of the ship. The dark waves crashed againist the sides. Terror filled my chest. Surely, I would die. There would be no surviving the dark merciless waves.

I couldn’t fight the sailor. He was too strong. He tossed me overboard without hesitation. I fell through the air. Hitting the water took the breath right out of me. The weight of my dress pulled me under the waters. I thrashed and tried fighting my way to the surface. I swirled downward. It was so cold, so dark. I couldn’t breathe. The harder I fought, the quicker my energy drained. Slowly, at first and then all at once my legs felt like they were on fire. I screamed, only to suck gallons of water into my lungs.

A dark figure darted in front of me. I could barely see through the murky water. I could only hope that the creature would eat me in one gulp. Everything hurt so much. It was torturous. The dark figure came closer to me again. I couldn’t see them clearly though. I felt pressure over my eyes. My heart pounded in my chest. When the pressure stopped, I opened my eyes. A breath-taking woman was in front of me. I gasped. A plume of bubbles rushed forth out of my mouth. She put her hands up almost in surrender. The woman sucked in a huge breath and then blew out. She gestured towards me. My chest felt like it was about to explode. The best thing that could happen was for me to drown, so I figured why not. My suffering would end sooner. I did what she did. Instead of drowning though, fresh air filled my body. She reached towards my stomach. In one sudden movement, she tore the skirt off of my dress, exposing my stomach and legs. I gasped at what used to be my legs. In place of my legs was a golden-brown tail. I glanced at the woman. The woman had a tail just like mine. She moved so that she was floating horizontally and then moved her tail up and down. I copied her. Gleefully, she clapped. I opened my mouth to thank her, but she put a finger to her cherry red lips and shook her head. I was confused. She took hold of my wrist and pulled me forward. We swam at an amazingly fast rate. I had never seen anything move as fast as we did.

A shadow passed over us. Both of us turned our eyes upward. It was a ship. I looked back at the woman. A dark look covered her face. She pointed at the ship and then back to me, the question plainly obvious. I nodded. She smiled devilishly, exposing two long pearly white fangs. She took hold of my hand and together we swam to the surface.

I could hear the shouts of the men ordering each other about. Rage and pure hate boiled inside of me. They tried to murder me! Oh, how I wish I could take my revenge. I looked at the woman. I could tell she saw my contempt. She began to sing the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard. I noticed that the men on the ship fell silent as she sang.

“Tired weary traveler,

Lost in the storm

Longing for comfort and security

Only I can give.” 

Every man was coming to the side of the ship.

“You threw a lass off your vessel

Hoping for safety

Now she’s here before you

With lips ready to sing.”

She gestured to me. I began singing.

“You threw me into the sea

Hoping to satisfy the storm

All you’ve done is seal your fate

Of your impending doom.”

The men leaned over the edge dangerously. My rage and hate took hold of my voice.

“The sea knows what you have done

A precious life almost taken

In revenge, she shall take yours by your own hands

Throw yourselves into the water.”

I relished in the fact of my power as I watched the men throw themselves into the water. They swam towards my companion and I.

“Little lass no more

Your lives are in my hand

You follow my every command

Sink below the waters my loves

Let the ocean fill your lungs

Death will kiss your freezing lips

You meant to destroy me

Now here I am

Taking great pleasure

In watching your end.”

It was empowering, watching the men force themselves to sink under the water. Watching them sink only semi-satisfied my new consuming need for blood.

“Keep singing,” my companion sang.

“These poor men need rest

While we have our feast.” I took up my turn.

“Men like you do not deserve the wives and children you have

You throw away innocent lives

I find no shame

In taking your lives

Goodnight,

Goodnight

Goodnight creatures of the night.”

Moments later, we had our feast. Never had I loved the taste of metallic liquid in my mouth like I did now.

Feel free to give me ways where can I improve my piece. I'd be super appreciative!