Amelia's Diary | Teen Ink

Amelia's Diary

By 0knaak GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
0knaak GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name is Amelia Mary Earhart writing from Lockheed Model 10 Electra over the Central Pacific nearing Howland Island with navigator Fred Noonan.This is a diary of my circumnavigational adventure. I’ve made contact with Itasca to guide us onto land with radio signals. It’s 8:45 am.., gas is low, but hopes are high. We’re nearing 1,000 ft. in the air, I can almost see beautiful Howland Island.

Twin engine #1 has failed. There was a wind tunnel, unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Our plane was sucked through screaming colors as engine #1 struck an unknown flying object. #2 is beginning to fail. We’ve lost all radio contact.

I love you George and Grace. I love you Mom and Dad. I love you Grandma and Grandpa Otis.I’m trying to be brave, but I’m scared. 

Goodbye from Heaven.

God has blessed me with a second chance to live. Thanks to Old Bessie, we crash landed on an unknown island. It seems only half a mile or so in diameter.In a wink of an eye as the firehorse soared into earth, we hit the shoreline like concrete. The daunting clear water is usually something I’d marvel at, but not when it’s willing to break my fall with its shallow depths. At Least there weren’t any sharks in sight. 

Last I can remember before we lost control was the shaky compass reading south east, heading towards Howland Island. 

The wind tunnel was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. How did the wind gather enough strength within seconds to whip our plane into a flying object and abundance of colors? I can’t stop until I figure this out.

This is the most I could remember from the experience~

Colors of the rainbow
Object that struck was metal, large, bland
Wind around 1,000 mph
Later that day

We have no way to contact Itasca. I’m scared of the day Noonan loses hope, my hope has begun to run dry already. I still keep praying into thin air. All I can think about is how I’m in the middle of the Pacific, unheard of. I wonder if I’ll ever make it home.

We survived night #1 on the island, exhausted and in shock. I can’t stop crying, but the adventurer in me screams survival, not helpless. Noonan and I are heading out to explore and find resources.I’m hopeful today.

I wonder if they’ve begun to near this area in their search, they have to know we’re missing. They should know by now Noonan and I would’ve contacted them safe after we made it across the Pacific. . 

It scares me most to think about nobody finding us.

My broken watch reads 2 pm.. I haven’t seen one animal on this deserted island. The hot sand and moist forest make me uneasy so I found a tree and climbed.. Reminds me of exploring Columbia library. I would do anything to be perched on that roof, looking over the university.

Thank God I haven’t lost my photos. 

Sunset ...

Fred and I are feeling especially homesick. The sunset on this untouched beach makes me feel comforted and optimistic, but these photos make me feel forlorn. I guess crying and looking at them passes the time well. Noonan whimpers for Mary Bee constantly. It’s heartbreaking to see the toll this is taking on him emotionally. They’re used to time apart, but it hurts him to think about never seeing her again. I understand, I miss George dearly, but I honestly miss my family more, especially Grace. I keep looking at this photo of us. When Grandma Otis gave it to me, I didn’t realize how much it’d mean to have. Even to see my sister and I together in a crinkled up photo is comforting.

I had a dream last night about being rescued. It was one of those dreams I thought was real, until I woke up and was distraught as I fell out of a tree and came back to the painful reality. Noonan is still asleep, not sure how he’s able to sleep on the ground. It’s wet and there’s bugs everywhere.

I haven’t seen one indiginous species on this God forsaken island. It’s begun to scare me. The island might be so small animals have never been able to live here. There’s also the possibility that there’s an unknown huge predator that’s killed every animal. 

I’m overthinking, I need to calm down. This is stressful enough already. I ca n’t be thinking about another way I’ll be killed before disease or starvation. 

Maybe no animals have lived here because there aren’t enough resources. It makes sense considering we’ve been struggling to find food. There’s only hard, green, medium-sized fruit with thin skin.  Sadly they taste more bitter than sweet and are making my lips swell combined with the relentless sun. At least they haven’t made me sick.. I’ve also tried my luck with thin grass shoots, they’re surprisingly sweet. 

Time to be productive Amelia

Mid-day

I’ve come to realize that getting attention from any vessel seems helpful, until we end up captive in another country or killed on the spot by foreigners who can’t speak English. 

I’m scared, but more scared of dying a mystery, so I’ll take my chances. 

I was beginning to doze off in my tree, but I keep getting distracted by Noonan watching all ten fires he’s made covering the beach, looking for any ships that may see his signal. He grunts as he carries more piles of wood to the sand. I’m too tired and hungry to keep helping, thankfully Noonan still has the strength to keep persisting after hours. I never knew how grateful I’d be to see dry wood. The more fires he makes, the more hopeful I am. 

The best day of my life

The beautiful sky was no longer lonesome the moment I saw the USS Cuttlefish above the sunrise coming towards us. I didn’t have time to write ; my heart was racing out of my chest. All I can remember from the immense adrenaline rush I felt was screaming, running, and jumping on the sand until my ankles and throat ached,.  Seeing that submarine in the middle of the Pacific this Monday morning ensured me that God is real.

It was an American submarine coming from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Cuttlefish was filled with an intimidating fleet of navy, all of which were welcoming enough to save strangers, lives as long as we were okay with going to Hawaii, not New Guinea.

They said we had the best luck they’ve ever seen, to have survived a plane crash and be found deserted within a few days. I don’t believe them, this was the worst experience I have ever been through, but it may have happened for a reason given our impossible chances.  

Later that day

Noonan and I have been resting on the most comfortable submarine bed imaginable. I never knew how good a thin mattress on a metal bunk bed could feel until now.

After hours of thinking I’ve realized something from this experience. I’ve wanted adventure my entire life, I’ve always seen life as one’s chance to experience as much as they can. I miss my family and George, but now that I’m safe and know I can see my family I’ve had second thoughts on my life. 

I need to disappear, only to the public. My family has always been supportive of my dreams, even when I flew around the world alone, terrifying my mother. After Noonan gave the soldiers his information and our initial flight path, they were trustful and lenient when I told them I want a new start, my name unknown to the world. I found comfort in being away from the public on the island, although not enough to never want to see my family again.  

Grace, George, Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, I love you. This is the long awaited explanation I needed to share in order for every one of you to  understand my intention in having a lengthy disappearance.

After this experience I’ve decided to live on the small island, Oahu, Hawaii. I believe the small chance of me ending up here happened for a reason. Whether it be to find adventure or an explanation for the phenomenon that lead to my crash. I’ve found my destiny. 

I’m deeply sorry for the fear I’ve caused within all of you. Please tell Mary Bea Noonan that Fred is coming home when you receive this. As soon as I’m used to this new lifestyle and get enough money I will try to come visit. I need a change. 

Love,

Amelia

This fictional piece gives the answer to Earhart's famous disappearance.