The Spy | Teen Ink

The Spy

January 2, 2020
By Anonymous

The daily life in a small town right outside of Boston, MA was normal before the Revolutionary War. The year was 1777 and Amelia Green was living an ordinary life, working in the hospital, helping her mom. Her best friend, Elizabeth (Liz) Warren also worked there with her. Both girls were about 5’4 and have caramel colored hair. Amelia’s eyes were a deep brown, while Liz’s were blue.

“Have you seen your dad much lately? I know he must be very busy with all of his patients.” questioned Amelia. Liz’s father, Joseph Warren was a doctor and had his own clinic in town for special kinds of patients. Once, he had Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette as a patient. It was one of the biggest things to happen in the girl’s town.

“You’re right, he has been very busy, as busy as a bee. My mother is very worried that he is going to get sick because of it.” Liz replied. Both of the girls were helpers in the hospital, and didn’t work directly with patients. This was a typical job for 14 year-old girls like themselves. 

After an entire day’s work, both girls decided to treat themselves with a sleepover. Of course it had to be at Liz’s, because Amelia’s house was about two miles away.

“Thank goodness today is Friday, and tomorrow is our day off. This week was difficult, with the war heating up, around here.” Amelia said. 

            Amelia’s life at home was hard. Her father died when she was just three, and her mother basically lived at the hospital. Her only brother Cameron worked at their home creating muskets out of old silverware. 

Later in the night, Liz’s father arrived home and he seemed to be acting different to both girls. As he was walking up the stairs Liz said;

“What happened today? Why do you seem so gloomy?”

“Let’s just say that work was hard and unsuccessful today. A soldier passed away before we could help him.” He responded, letting out a huge sigh . The girls exchanged a look of worry. Both of them rushed to Mr. Warren and gave him a tight hug. Although the girls were only fourteen years old, they immediately understood his pain. 

A week back, while school was just finishing, one of their older friends was drafted for the loyalist side, and they never saw him again after that day.

“This entire town is taking a huge beating because of the war. I don’t know how much I can take.” Amelia claims worriedly. Liz’s dad was like a father to Amelia. She was very grateful and they both hated to see him discouraged and dejected. 

***

After a week has passed, the girls were noticing more what the war was doing to the town. The amount of people in the hospital almost doubled in just one week and there were a lot less people on the street. Both girls were starting to take on greater jobs in the hospital.

“After our shifts today, can we go to your house to help your brother make the supplies? Anything we can do will be useful in some way!” Liz asked. 

“Of course. Let me just make sure my mom can walk home with us.” Amelia replied. It was important that the friends were accompanied by an adult, because the old cobblestone streets were starting to get very dangerous.There were cracks in the stone Liz heard that someone was kidnapped. Amelia walks over to her mom as she is talking a water break. All of the women in the hospital have been working relentlessly to help. 

“We are all set to leave at half past four. She’ll walk all the way with us.” says Amelia to Liz as she walked back. 

“Let’s work as hard as we can for the next hour and then we’ll leave.” Mary, Amelia’s mom says to the girls. Once they all finished, Liz, Amelia, and Mrs. Green all walked the path to get to the house.

“I think that Cameron hasn’t arrived home, the door is still locked from this morning.” Says Mrs. Green. Most days of the week he is home, but during two of them he is working in a barn helping to make more advanced supplies. 

“Hello girls!” an unknown figure said from behind them. Liz was the first to turn around and was glad to see that it was only Cameron. He had black, curly hair and was quite tall. His eyes were brown and his face was covered with freckles.

“Oh gosh! You really frightend us, Cam. You know what’s been happening on the streets!” Amelia exclaimed as she playfully pushed him.

“I know, but you should have seen Liz’s face when she turned- priceless.” He replied.  All four of them went into the house. Liz and Amelia were walking behind Cameron when they noticed something. 

“What’s that inside your coat? You know that you aren’t supposed to take anything at work back home.” Amelia said. 

“Oh, I know. This is-” He started. He didn’t even finish the sentence and rushed up the stairs. Amelia and Liz give each other look of confusion.

“What was that about?” Liz asked.

“I’m not sure, he never does anything like that.”

 The girls came up with the idea that they were going to spy on Amelia’s older brother. This was something that they always used to do when they were young. They crept up the stairs, one by one trying to make no noise.

“I can’t believe I almost blew it,” he said to himself in his room.

“What is he talking about? I want to find out what those papers were.” Amelia whispered. Liz shook her head, but Amelia went in anyway.

“Are those battle plans? For what side? Why do you have them?” She shouted accusingly. Liz peered through the door and saw them. They were plans for the American side. The name on the paper was not one that Liz could recognize. She knew almost every leader around this town.

“Are those for the british? I can’t believe this.” Amelia stated.

“Um no?” He replied.

“Before I tell mom, explain yourself to me and Liz.” Amelia said as she pulled Liz through the door.

“Alright. I haven’t been making bullets here at home. I’ve had this secret for three months. I’ve been working with a British leader- and I don’t even know his name. Actually, I have no idea why I’m telling you and your little sidekick this. Keep your mouth shut and nothing will happen” He answered. 

“What’s going to happen if I don’t?” She snapped back. He gave her a stern look and just ignored her. Amelia turned to Liz and said;

“C’mon, my mom is going to love this.”

“Ok? Are you sure he was serious though?” She replied.

“Yes.”

The girls went downstairs and told Mary everything. She seemed very disappointed.

***

A week passed since the incident, and he wasn’t in very much trouble. He was just a messenger and didn’t know what the British were even planning to do. As a punishment, he had to help in the hospital for 20 hours a week for a month. 

“At least we stayed best friends. I have no idea what I would have done without you helping me through all of this- it’s really confusing to me.” said Amelia.

Liz nodded in agreement and they continued to work in the hospital, together, through it all. 


The author's comments:

This piece is very interesting and will keep you on the edge of your seat.