GreatSOM | Teen Ink

GreatSOM

September 8, 2023
By LeninBolshevik BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
LeninBolshevik BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The  sleepy  waves  of  the  sea  were  conciliated  and  it  was  like  that  most  of  the  time  in the  island  of  Malta.  This  island  was  founded  by  warriors,  by  divine  crusades,  who’s  crusades  fought  with  an  eagle  gaze  and  a  flaming  spirit,  these  men  of  faith  stablish  the  state  of  Malta  in which  I’m  standing  right  now,  I am  a  knight  of  the  order  of  Hospitallers  we  fight  and  threat the  injured  knights,  but  we,  the  order  of  Hospitallers  are  the  only  ones  left  protecting  this  island,  and  today  that  autonomous  that  the  past crusaded  left us  is  put  to  a  challenge.  “We got new”  the  general  Garnier  said,  “And  they’re  not  good  news,,,,   the  Ottomans  have  been  spotted  and  they  are  coming  to  the  island”  as  those  words  came  my  eyes  opened,  “So  we  are  going  to  get  prepared  to  defend  and  repeal  the  assault,  so  get  quickly  to  positions  now”  said  General  Garnier,  in  less  than  five  minutes  I  arrived  to  my  position,  which  is  the  role  of  operating  a  canon  alongside  another  fellow  teammate,  as  I  got  there  the  other  knight  who  also  operates  the  cannon  said  to  me  “Are  you  ready,  we  more  likely  are  not  going  to  survive  this,  but  yet  I  seen  most  of  the  other  not  a  single  resemblance  to  fear”  I  said  to  him  “In  these  moments  our  faith  is  stronger  than  ever  and  our  connection  with  each  other  as  well….”  Then  he  said  “Yea,  I am  ready  for  the  Ottomans,  and  you?”  I  replied  “Yes,  I don’t  feel  fear”  Then  we  waited  the  arrival  of  the  Ottoman  Army,  after  5  minutes  we  start  seeing  them,  far  away,  but  not  close  enough  to  engage,  even  with  canons,  other  5  minutes  passed and  General  Garnier  said  “When I  give  the  order  all  canons  fire,  understand?”  we  all  replied  with  a  “Yes, sir”,  and couple  of  minutes  passed  and  the  Ottoman army  got  way  more  closer  until,  it  started,  “Fire!”  and  just  like  that  we  starting  firing  the  canons  and  loading  another  projectile  and  firing  again,  the  Ottoman  Army  advanced  and  responded  back  with  canon  fire  aswell,  until  the  unexpected  happened,  “BAM!”  and  pitch  black  my  sight  went  I  started  think  “Am  I  death?  Did  a  Ottoman  projectile  hit  me?, well…  after  all  they  are  better  equipped  and on  top  of  that  we  are  heavily  outnumbered “  I  did  in  fact  thought  that  the  Ottomans  are  easily  going  to  defeat  us,  but  as  soon  as  that  thought  came  I  started  to  see  light,  “Lest  go  we  have  a  chance,  do not  let  your  gaze  down!”  I heard  General  Garnier  shout  to  other  knights  I suppose,  and  that’s  when  I  noticed  that  I  am  still  alive,  I  moved  and  looked  at  my  hands  and  legs,  it  all  seems  intact,  so  I  got  up  and  looked  at  the  sky  and  say  a  banner  with  a  cross  on  it,  I  ran  to  it,  and  when  I  got  there  I  saw  other  knights  celebrating,  “What  happened?”  I  asked,  a  knight  answered  “ They, the Ottomans, fled we  won  we  defended  the  island”  I  then  respond  “So  we  indeed  managed  to  extricate  this  situation”  and  that’s  when  I  realized  that  the  odds  of  wining  where  close  to  zero  but  still  we  came  victorious,  and  that  no  doubt  this  battle  will  ascend  to  history.


The author's comments:

I really like history and the crusades, also I rush the story so it could actually be better.