Don't Walk Away | Teen Ink

Don't Walk Away

By Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan
Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams" ---- Dr. Seuss

Present

“Come with me,” he told her, taking her soft hands in his rough ones, taking in the feel of them before he did what he was about to do.

“I can’t. I have to stay here,” she told him, close to tears, aware of the hurt this was causing him.

He then looked her in the eyes and read them like a book. “I’ll come back for you!” he whispered, dropping her hands and walking away, not once looking back.

She sat there and stared after him. I love you,” she whispered, crying silent tears now, aware of how pathetic she must look to people passing by. But she didn’t care, she didn’t care at all.

She went inside and called for him, spoke his name. But he didn’t come back. There wasn’t even a sign that he was thinking of her.

2 years later

She’s sitting by the door, looking out the window when she sees him, creeping along the street outside, careful not to get caught in night.

Over come with shock, love and gratefulness, she stands, smooths her skirt and opens the door. “You’re back,” she whispered, feeling the touch of his warm hands on both sides of her face.

“Not for long,” he whispered back, before leaning in and kissing her softly on the lips.

He pulled away and looked in her bottomless eyes once again and says in a barely audible voice, “I’m forever yours.”

“And you are forever mine!” she tells him back, staring into his dark eyes, wondering where he had been, what he had done, if he ever thought about her.

Then, his hands were dropped from her face to his sides. Ans she just stands there and watches as he walks away from her for the second time.

But this time as she cried, she feared ti wouldn’t be the last, she feared she would never be able to say “I love you” to him ever again.

3 years later

“This man is a traitor!” the sheriff bellowed over the crowd of towns people, while they stood, watched and agreed as he prepared to hang the man with a loose noose around his neck, next to him. “He deserves to DIE!”

Everyone in the crowd except one person shouted with approval, bringing even more tears to the person’s eyes.

The sheriff got ready, and the towns people shouted even more. The man with the noose around the neck looked into the crowd and made eye contact with the one person. “And you are forever mine,” she whispered to herself.

The sheriff got an evil look on his face, making her burst into tears. Nobody noticed. And as the rope was being pulled she couldn’t scream “no.” But as they killed her only love, and she watched, she herself wished she were dead too.