True Blood | Teen Ink

True Blood

By cmCampbell SILVER, Cedar Grove, New Jersey
cmCampbell SILVER, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

"Every minute you spend angry is 60 seconds you lose of happiness!"

My father had always told me we were perfect- we were superior. He always told me that we could do and withstand everything that other races could not, especially the Jews, of whom were mose hated. I never completely understood that. They had taught us in Hitler Youth to beware of the Jewish population- they were poisonning the earth. They even taught us how to identify a Jewish individual. Naturally, I kept my distance.
One night I asked my father why we lived the way we did- in fear and anger toward the Jews- he gently lifted me by the waist and placed me on his lap. He then combed through my bleach-blonde hair with his fingers and lovingly turned my face toward his. He was so fatherly in his expression that you may have been tricked into thinking he really did have a heart. He pointed a strong finger in front of my eyes and said, "You see those eyes?" I started to shake my head laughingly(of course I could not see my eyes, they were in my head) but he spoke quickly and left no room for silly comments. "Those are the eyes of the Aryan race." he continued. "Those are the eyes of the superior. The same goes for that blonde hair of yours. You see, you are perfect, as am I and everyone else like us. Mingling with other, lesser, races just makes them more powerful and able to rise up against us. Already the Jews have taken our jobs and populated our cities." Then, for a moment, he changed. Now the stone look on his face began to soften in a quick realization. It was almost as if he realized the error of his words and was about to revoke all his prior words, he did not. Next, he told me I would understand when I was older and with one rushed "Heil Hitler," he was gone.
That was 1940. I was eight years old. My father was a member of the Nazi Party. I did end up figuring everything out when I was older- after the war. I learned about the Jews being mass murdered for no particular reason other than Germany needing a scapegoat to blame their problems on. I also learned that my father was one of those people who executed the Jewish people.
When I moved to America I left all that behind. I even changed my name. I am reborn now,and this time, I have no father.

In my creative writing class we were asked to think of a current event or an event in history to write a fictional story about. I chose Nazi Germany because I have always been interested in reading books about it and learning more about it. I wanted to make it different, to find a new point of view, so I put myself in the mind of the child of a Nazi Party member. My biggest inspiration is probably from Markus Zusak's "The Book Thief."

Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

This is a great article! It really  conveys the Nazi policy and feelings. The ending is great, I'm glad the narrarator did not turn out like his father.

By the way, can you read some of my stories, rate, and critisize? I'd appreciate it.

Uniqueada PLATINUM, Durham, North Carolina

"Yes we can"- President Obama

i like it :)