Holocaust | Teen Ink

Holocaust

By shoelessjoe GOLD, Highland, Michigan
shoelessjoe GOLD, Highland, Michigan

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when ther are footsteps on the moon"
"Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain"
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

I stood in the street. People screaming, crying, and running literally for their lives. Dirt flying in every which way on my street. I didn’t care anymore my mamma, papa, and best friend Jay were dead. I sat with them in their last moments, watching the fear in their eyes. Fires broke out everywhere; you could never escape the burning smell that day. My mamma was crying her eyes out telling me that everything was going to be okay. She was telling me what a good kid I was and that someday she would see me again. My papa was trying hard to stay strong as large drops of salty water trickled down his cheeks. I told him, “you have always been so good to me papa. I love you and I wish that it didn’t have to end like this, in this war against those stupid Nazi’s. I’m so sorry.” Mamma was coughing and I took her hand and squeezed it, she squeezed back and said, “I love you,” then her hand went dead, as well as the rest of her body. I lay next to papa; he let it all out, not holding back anything. I was on the ground in his pool of blood and he stroked my hair I looked over to Jay. Papa’s hand was stroking slower and slower, and I cried more and more, his hand stopped and fell. A few yards over I crawled to more bloody bricks, under them was Jay. He was sobbing, telling me all the things he was sorry for. Telling me what he liked about me, “I have always loved your hair.” His voice was shaky and in every letter there was terror. The bomb shelter had collapsed and he pushed me away so I wouldn’t get crushed. He did though, he saved my life and I couldn’t save his. I kissed him for it, I kissed him because it was the best thing I could think of. In less than those ten seconds of my affection, he died. That was it, I had nothing to care about, I didn’t care if I had died or not… nothing. I stood, watched, and the world came down. The remains of my house was hit, it was hit and the wreckage came ablaze. It, as well as dirt and everything else there was, got launched. It flew over lost souls, the once beautiful yard and came down on me. The hot flames caught on my clothes, searing the skin, my skin, beneath. All I did was lay there, my parents dead, as well as my best friend. I was engulfed in a burning nightmare, not one being could help me now. The world was dancing in red and orange tongues. I turned my head and Jay’s lifeless hand was in my reach. I held it in mine, the Earth went black.