This Is Your Mind... | Teen Ink

This Is Your Mind...

December 30, 2010
By bahannahpeel PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois
bahannahpeel PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois
27 articles 0 photos 73 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Schools corrupt the mind." The Loco Focos


Long, dark corridors surround me and I am trapped. How am I going to get out of this place?

I run, my tennis shoes make loud echoes on the tile floor, sending reverberations up and down the walls. I open a door. A screen fills the far wall, a video of me when I was five, riding on a John Deer tricycle project onto it. Freaked out, I close the door and cross the hallway to another one. Another screen. This time, me when I was eight at the fourth of July fireworks, my favorite backpack in between my shoulder blades. I slam the door and go to another room, the same only with another forgotten memory of me.

A figure steps out of one of the thousands of doors, cloaked in black and hissing at me. Heart racing, I throw myself into one of the rooms and shut the door behind me. In this one, I’m just a baby, giggling and gurgling at my father. Mesmerized, I forget why I came in here until a scratching sound starts coming from the outside of the door. I jump, and run closer to the screen, farther from the door.

It flies open, the dark creature making a horrible sound, ripping the terrified shriek from my lips. It moves in short, jerky spurts that scare me more than the noise. This alien thing is familiar. I don’t remember why. Its long, gnarled finger isolates itself from the hand, and it curls it towards itself, gesturing for me to come forward. To follow.

Should I? All it could possibly do is make my death quicker if I go to it. So I do. Maybe if I obey, it will be merciful. It laughs a raspy, creepy laugh and turns into the hallway. A crusty hand grabs my own and leads me forward into another, darker room. On the screen is a scene of a dark night, no stars or moon to shed any light. I show up, eleven years old and running my heart out. The creature follows.

The creature is a monster from a forgotten nightmare. What is this place?




It speaks.
“This is your mind…” it says menacingly. “The long, dark corridors of forgotten things… still here… waiting for you to find them… and now you have.” It rasps. Shivers fall in waves down my spine.

I run for the door, swing it open, and bolt down the passage, nothing but more rooms come in to view.

My childhood memories. All that I have forgotten, here, rusting and collecting dust and cobwebs inside my mind. Now there’s no escaping.


The author's comments:
I was thinking about psychology for some reason at the time, and I began to wonder if all of my memories were still in my brain... Could I retrieve them if I really tried?