the tragedy of many | Teen Ink

the tragedy of many

June 22, 2012
By mrow363akarobinhood GOLD, Jenks, Oklahoma
mrow363akarobinhood GOLD, Jenks, Oklahoma
12 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Titanic

The smell of paint filled the harbor, the R.M.S Titanic loomed ahead. It's enormous
size captivated James mind. It was gigantic he thought to himself, as his mind wonderd at
what lay inside its masive hull; mahogany wood shimmering and marvellous statues. The
unsinkable ship or was it?

James had been on the ship for four days. The great Titanic had been wonderous
sight. the ship was mind bogoling; its luxury, class, and qulity.

He sat on a bench near the rail writing in his journal of the ships beauty. James was a writer, he hoped that he could use this trip in a book of his one day. He had no idea what would be written and what it would mean to the world.
Jame walked down the hall of the e-deck. It was 9pm April 14,1912 the air outside was cold. the unpreterbed water was as glass. He hugged his coat around him it wasn't cold in the hall but something felt off, like his brain was trying to warn him. His hair pricked as a family walked by. They smiled at him and he felt sad. A rush of emotions hit him as would a wave of the surf. he felt winded, as he wanted to cry for all who where on board, yet he knew not why. At this same moment the captin orderd the last biolers lit gaining speed into the uknown. His insticnts fighting him, small alarms goin g off but for what he did not know.

James sat in him large cabin; writing in his journal about the wave of sadness. He disturbed by the events that had transpired, he longed to know what it meant. His imagination soard with the details of the Titanic and what storys he could write.
He sighd inwardly as he gatherd his coat and hat, heading to dinner. he took the brass lifts to the dinning deck, ushers awaited at the ornate wood, and glass doors leading to an exstravagant room. round tables with white cloth coverings filld the area. Jmes found his way to his table as musicians played tricky yet beaitfull pieces.

The rich filld the space to the brim. ellegant hats whorn by the ladies, suits and ties for the men. The food was as deletable as the music, yet Jmes felt suffocated. The aura of his fellow rich people was potent, he knew how selfish they where. They only cared about money. He pityd them, they where slaves to there riches. the other classes on board where free and childlike, wile the upper class was always bickering about money and estates. This was noted in his journal but two days ago.

After his meal approximetly 11:30 pm, he decided to head to t6he deck for fresh air, to cleanse himself of the thick cloud that fallowed the wealthy. His shoes clicked on the wooden deck, as he made his way to the forward rail. He set on the cold bench as the icey night burned his lungs. Into the abyss he stared, he grew tired as he drifted off to dream.

Alarms sounded in the office as the first mate saw the danger a gigantic ice burg was dirrecty ahead. He slamed the communicator into reverse, signiling to the engin room to set the ships prpelers in the counter clockwise spin. Men shouted as lights flashed, the men in the bowls ran to there stations. slowly the ship began to turn, but would she clear it?

A force like a erth shake sent James flying off the bench. a blood curling screach filld the n ight air, along with a great shatering sound. Ice rained down and James fled as fast as he could to his cabin. The ship had struck ice James had felt the force he was shure the ship would sink.He ripped his books from shelves, shoven them into a small bag papers quickly fallowed. He slipped his journal in his coat and his wallet in the bag. One-piont-two million dollers now lay inside. He made his way to the officers deck where the 1st mate confirmed the ship would sink. Chaos broke loose as the pasangers recieved the grave knews. James rushed to the upper deck knowing there was not enough life boats, less than half would be seated.

The rich litterd the decks. laughing saying things like "God himself couldnt sink this ship", and"i hope they dont crowd the boats." The gates to the lower decks strained from the weight of the lower class pressing agnst them, begging to be aloud a chance at the boats.

James relized why he was winded that night, it was for those aboard who would die, and for the qualty of those who would be lucky enough to live. The rich complaind of too little space, Men tossed children over board to gain passage. Gun shots echoed into the night as crew tried to maintain order. The ship beagn to tip ice cold watter poord over the eadge. Screams filled the air when James saw a boat with more room. Not a boat, his boat

He started towads it when the sound of a crying girl reached his ears. A teen girl lay on a near by bench gasping and crying. Her cloths where testmant to her class. James knew she would never board a boat, he was about to leave her when he found his feet moving towards her then her weight in his arms. He carried her to "his" boat and lay her inside despite the crew mans protest. He gave her his bag and coat. Everything he had. He slipped the crewmen a wad of 100s the man gave a curt nod, and ordered the lowering of the boat. The girl wisperd her name "victoria" she said "m m my name" James was only able to give his name when the boat sank beneath the rail. When the boat came back into view, victoria watched the strange man who gave her evrything. Cables broke as the great smoke stacks fell she watched in horror as the giant mass of metal fell on James.

Victoria opend her eyes. The study of her house surounded her. Her son laughed in the back ground. James money had spared her son James from the life she had when she was little. That night when James had saved her she was not weeping for her, but for her unborn son. she repaid James by publishing his story publishe his story, 'the compasion of one and the traagedy of many'.

1530 people died that night. 1178 life boat seat were on board, 2208 were needed. some boats sealded half fulled. 705 survied. 50 children died. the price of the richest selfulness, the cost of luxury was high that night.

the rich were made fool, the poor murders. such is the price of selfulness. james gave all he had to a stranger, he gave his life and life was gained. his story lifes on forever looked on with awe by the world. due to victorious bravery to exspose the wh*** that was the titanic.


The author's comments:
i wrote this one day wile thinking of how one act of selfishness in a setting of evil can change lives