The Buffalo Jump | Teen Ink

The Buffalo Jump

April 23, 2013
By artist-today SILVER, Alberta, Other
artist-today SILVER, Alberta, Other
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't argue with an idiot they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
-Mark Twain


“THE TRIBE GAMES ARE TODAY!” Muki ran up to Kitchi and Achachak.
“Yes, they are” Kitchi stated uninterested. “What’s so interesting about them anyway?”
“What so interesting about them? Only everything! They supply us food every year, my father use to tell me stories about them as a child he use to tell me how when he was in his second game he used his bow and arrows and travel straight into the woods. He says that all the men where wandering in the wood looking for the animals out a far distance. He ended up getting lost and couldn’t find his way back he got tired and stopped to rest. He fell asleep and when we woke up that’s when he caught sight of it in the corner of his eye.”
“Catch sight of what?” Kitchi’s interest had perked up in the middle of the story. Muki got up.
“A buffalo” Muki’s eyes flashed. “He swung around in a flash his bow ready and he took the shot his arrow flying straight through the head! He got the shot, he had caught a buffalo.”
Achachak had heard this story many times Muki’s father was famous for being the youngest man in the tribe to catch a buffalo.
“I’m going to be just like my father, I’m going to catch a buffalo this year!” Muki stated determined.
“You’re going to what?” Achachak got up. “Are you crazy? Your father was lucky! There is no way you are going to catch a buffalo!”
“Yes, I am. I will prove you.” Before Achachak could come up with an argument, Kitchi got up and looked at the sun.
“We better get going; the sun is almost at the top we don’t want to be late.” They all got up and made their way to the starting point.
The elder was there waiting for all the men to appear. Achachak, Muki and Kitchi came over and joined.
“Oh Achachak I can’t believe it your already an adult I remember like it was yesterday when you where just a child.” A woman came over talking to him as if Achachak were just a child. A man overheard and snickered.
“Ha! These shrimps are in the games! I’ll be surprised if you guys don’t get mauled by a wolf in the first five minutes of the games.” The man laughed. “Do you guys even know how to use a spear?”
“Yes, I do and you know what I am going to catch more than that wolf I am going to catch a Buffalo!” Muki stated proudly.
“You? Catch a buffalo? Good luck with that! Not even your father caught a buffalo in his first year” With that the man walked off.
“I will! I’m going to catch the biggest buffalo ever!” Muki yelled to the man.
“Come on we’re going to be late!” Achachak grabbed Muki and pulled him along.
“Alright men, today is the Annual Tribe Games men you use spears and bows, as well as traps and snares. You want to catch as many animals as possible specifically wolves, lynx, coyotes, rabbits and eagles. If you catch an eagle you will get reward for the feathers. Remember though after the games you must perform a ceremony and ask for a blessing for good luck or else you will have bad luck.” The elder announced. “Now let the games begin!”
Achachak ran in the forest with Kitchi and Muki. They found a few spots to set up traps and climbed up trees looking for eagles. Achachak really wanted an eagle because of their value. The reward was huge. Muki on the other hand could only think about buffalo.
Three hours later Achachak, Kitchi and Muki had only caught rabbits and fish nothing interesting. Where were the big animals? Muki was beginning to feel discouraged about the buffalo. Achachak had kind of expected that though he didn’t honestly believe they were going to catch one that was when Kitchi spotted something.
“Guys come here!” Kitchi peered over the hedges. 50 yards away, Just 50 yards away were a herd of buffalo. Muki’s face shined.
“Let’s jump them.” Muki’s face was determined. Achachak knew there was no way of him getting out of it. They were really going to be the youngest men to catch a buffalo, and not just a buffalo but a herd of buffalo. Achachak, Kitchi and Muki started herding the buffalo, Muki being the decoy buffalo and at the last minute Achachak and Kitchi threw them off the cliff no buffalo survived. They had done it; they had really done a buffalo jump! Achachak, Kitchi and Muki went back to the tribe; the tribe helped them collect all the buffalo which ended up being around twenty buffalo. It was a small herd but impressive for only three people. Muki was proud to brag about their catch. Achachak, Kitchi and Muki became legends and their story was told for generations they were never able to perform it again but were happy to have done it at least once.


The author's comments:
Did this piece for school. It's not my type of writing but whatever...