Birthday Surprise Dessert | Teen Ink

Birthday Surprise Dessert

By Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“In that counter, bottom drawer; to the left of that bucket of yours,” my third grade teacher tells me, pointing a thin finger towards a lone counter in the back of the classroom.

Eagerly spinning around and dashing up to the drawer, I fling it open. The sides ricochet backwards and fill the room with an immense BANG! “Sorry,” I mutter sheepishly.

In the far back of the draw I spot what I was looking for. Thin white squares with impressions of flowers decorating its surface: napkins. I get to work, quickly setting one napkin on each desk. By the time I’m finished, my classmates are in from outside.

“As some of you may known, today we have a  birthday.”

Heads turn towards the back to look at me. I hold up the clear, plastic ice cream bucket in my hands; everyone knows what's inside is not ice cream. I weave my way through the rows while I reach inside my container for perfectly cut desserts. I set them down neatly on each napkin. Their peanut buttery bottoms stick to my hands and the creamy looking chocolate decorates the tops of each bar.

“Aw yeah! Are those your mom’s Peanut Butter Bars?” a boy a few seats ahead of me asks.

I nod in response, my smile growing in size.

When everyone was served, I take a step back and pick out my own treat. I take a bite and the sweet blend of chocolate, peanut butter goodness makes each of my taste buds sing.

My teacher calls the class to attention and takes a deep breath which the young kids copy. As they all exhale in unison, a toon brakes loose in the air. “Happy happy birthday, today’s your special day…”