A Work of Art | Teen Ink

A Work of Art

April 21, 2009
By Wolfy DIAMOND, Huntsville, Alabama
Wolfy DIAMOND, Huntsville, Alabama
71 articles 0 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
A room without a book is like a body without a soul.


Great. I had two days to create a work of art. I can’t draw. I can’t paint, sketch, or even trace. What am I supposed to do? Sigh. Ms. Janka said that it has to be about something I like, but I like things that can’t be put down on a piece of paper. I like nature; I like the feeling of being free. How am I supposed to put that stuff on paper? It’s impossible. Maybe Mom or Sasha (my goody-two-shoes, Barbie doll like older sister) will know something that I can do.
“Baby, a work of art doesn’t have to be a painting or drawing! It can be a book, or even a leaf. In a way, everything is a piece of art. Make something that represents something you like to do, or something you love. It’s fairly simple.” Wow. What mom said kinda goes against what I learned and believed my whole life.
“Wow. You have to do that? I failed that assignment when I was assigned it. I painted a picture of a redbird flying over a creek. I’ll show you if you want.” She got up and went over to her closet. She pulled out a small, wooden board that was covered in a smooth cloth. She uncovered it, and I saw a beautiful painting.
The redbird was very nearly life-like and looked as if it would fly right out of its frame. The creek had clear blue water and brown and green stones on the bottom and both sides. Trees with small white blossoms and nearly grown leaves surrounded the bubbling creek, and the entire painting had a sense of mystery and allusiveness. “I worked on it for weeks, and still I got a bad grade. It was a 47 F!!! Good luck passing, weirdo.” She always called me that. I really, really hate it when she does that. Oh well. What was I supposed to do? I went to bed that night thinking of that, then fell into a restless sleep.
I woke up to the calm colored dawn and cheerful song of the birds outside my window. I got dressed, ate a quick breakfast, and ran out the door to school. As I drew near my bus stop, I heard Kaili, my BFF, talking to Sayra, my other BFF. They were talking about their ‘work of art.’ Great.
“Lyrah (Yes, that’s my name. I know my circle of friends have weird way of spelling names.)! What are you going to do about the assignment? We already started with ours. I’m doing a drawing of a city. Wanna see how it is so far?” With out waiting for me to answer, Kaili opened her backpack and took out a piece of paper. I looked and saw a pic of a city that suspiciously looked like San Francisco. Wow. Great. Awesome. Not.
“Mine is going to be a painting of the park. I haven’t got mine here. I left it at home.” Sayra said. I didn’t really need to see it with my eyes to know it was perfect. Sayra is the best drawer in the school. The stupid, horrid school that doesn’t care that I can’t do my assignment.
“I don’t know what mine will be. I haven’t decided yet.” With that I turned and walked away.
That day in school, I couldn’t keep my mind off it. I had to think of a mind blowing-something-to have. Help. It went on all day. After dinner (My sis was sneering at me the entire time) I decided I’d follow Mom’s advice. I decided what I would bring.
The next day passed quickly. I got every thing ready.
Finally, the day came when our ‘work off art’ was due. I walked to the front of the class and said, “This is MY Work of Art.” Everyone stared at me when I didn’t take anything out and show the. “You don’t get it.” Everyone kept staring. Sigh. “My work of art is me.” They still looked at me blankly. Sigh. “There is nothing like it, so it can’t be copied. It’s one of a kind. It’s a Work of Art.” Yay! Someone got it. Funny thing was that is was Ms. Janka. She started smiling all of a sudden. ‘Bout time understood what I was doing, and, uh, showing.
“Class. It looks like Lyrah has brought us art that is a true piece of art. She is the only person in class today that has received a perfect score of 100. Art is not just a painting, but anything that can never be made again, by someone else. She has taught us a lesson that that I hope none us will ever forget.”
Double WOW!