Unlikely | Teen Ink

Unlikely

By HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas
HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Chapter 10: Life Takes a Twist
Abigail

Ding-dong. The doorbell chimes through our house.

“Don’t worry, Dad, I’ll get it!” I run downstairs to the front door. I fling it open.

Daniel and a subdued Carmen are standing there. “Um, hello?” I say uncertainly. “Come in.”

Daniel, Carmen, and I seat ourselves in the living room. Daniel shifts his jeans and cocks his head at Carmen and mouthed ‘say something.’

“Uh, Carmen, would you like some hot cocoa?” I say, uncertain still of what’s going on.

Daniel smacks his forehead. “Abigail, Carmen is here to apologize and ask for forgiveness.”

Carmen looks at him, a blush flooding her cheeks, but she looks shyly at me. “EKate, I…I—my friends and I…I mean, we—I”

“Carmen what is it? Please tell me.” I smile, hoping it’ll help.

Carmen takes a deep breath, then it floods out, “I’m so sorry about everything that my friends and I have done to you and I really want to be your friend.” She takes another deep breath and looks up at me. “But I will understand if you don’t want to be my friend.”

“Oh, Carmen, why would I ever not want you as a friend?” I go to her side and pull her into a hug.

She hesitates for a moment, then hugs me back.

Daniel clears his throat. “You are forgiven on my account to Carmen.” He opens his arms. “Now I am I welcome to join this hug?”

We laugh and open our arms and we share a three way hug.

On Monday, I was at my locker when Mark comes up to me and slaps my butt. “Hey!” I yell.

Mark leans in at my ear. “If you think befriending my girlfriend will change anything between us, it won’t.”

I lean away from him, pinching my nose. “Mark, have you been drinking?”

Suddenly another voice pierces the air, “Mark get away from my friend!” I lean away from Mark and peer around him to see Daniel and Carmen running up to me. Mark jerks away.

Carmen smiles and links her arm through mine, then turns to her boyfriend. “Mark, from now on, leave Abigail alone.”

“But—”

But Carmen cut him off. “Mark, you will leave her alone.” She gave him the eye, then turns and smiles at me.

I smile in return and we head off to class, Daniel quickly following.

When we get seated in biology, Daniel turns to me. “You’re not leaving me for her, are you?” He says, getting a mock puppy dog look on his face.

“What? No way! Why would I leave my first friend for my second friend?”

“Oh, whew! Good.” Daniel exaggerates wiping sweat off his forehead and grins.

This is chapter 10