A Step | Teen Ink

A Step

May 8, 2019
By GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“wtf his ult did like 3k damage how is that legit” – leonardo da vinci 1496, founder of the Illuminati


My foot landed on the ground, it squelched. The rain pelted my shirt, another step. I groggily made my way to the corner of the block. The bus station was just down the corner, I just needed to reach the safety. I looked around, barely anybody on the streets at this time. The graffiti on the walls seemed excessive as the cars splashed them violently. The lights shone down on the wet street, reflecting into the faces of people, giving them an eerie glow. 23 seconds, the stop light flashed red, 22, 21, 20, 19. There was a man already sitting in the shelter across the street, a closed umbrella was positioned by his side. His tie was a dull maroon, fitted hastily into his grey suit. His briefcase, a beaten shade of brown, leaned against his leg, the latch seeming too large for its base. The man looked up, I looked away but I could feel his stare. 24 seconds, I had missed the light.

I hurried to the shelter, and sat on the metal bench. It was rounded and creaked when I sat on it, leaving a space between me and the man. I looked up and caught the man’s face. His eyes were a dull brown and his eyelids were drooping down. They looked at me with an expression in between boredom and sadness. His eyebrows were flat and his mouth set in a straight line. His eyes darted as he saw me, focusing on his dripping umbrella. I got up and walked into the rain, standing near the pole and pretending to read the bus times. I heard the familiar sound of brakes as the bus appeared behind me, casting my shadow down the road. I stepped into the doors as they open. The bus had a musky smell and the back light was not working, illuminating the seats in the front. I inserted my card and moved in.

I chose a seat near the back and but near to the door. The broken light hid my head in shadow while the rest of me was still illuminated. I saw the beat up man step on and glance in my direction. He chose a seat behind me, his body encased in shadow. I could feel his eyes digging into my skull. I could only hear the rustling of his chair as he positioned himself, over and over. The bus shook as we turned a corner, only a few more stops and my house would be in sight.

I pulled the cord, a light turned on. The driver acknowledged the sign. I grabbed my bag and flung it over my shoulder, readying for the stop. I heard a shifting behind me, the man stood up and made his way towards the front. I panicked, was he going to get off at the same stop that I was? The bus stopped, the man thanked the bus driver and got out, I followed suit. I stood in the rain, the man in front of me. The rain bounced off his umbrella, falling to the ground in a circle around him. The light bounced off his umbrella covering his face and neck. We both stood still; the man took a step, and another, and another, until he had turned the corner. I stood, the rain landing on my face, and made sure he was gone. I took one step in the other direction and never saw him again.