Small Town Girl | Teen Ink

Small Town Girl

May 15, 2019
By Anonymous

Logan lived with her parents and two brothers in a small town in Northern Wisconsin. From her house, it took 20 minutes to get to any type of store or restaurant, 15 minutes if Logan was driving without her parents.  The small town aspects never quite fit Logan's personality. She had always dreamed of moving to a big city. Her busy traveling schedule had allowed her to experience different cities all over.  She went on the trips to explore as well as taking aesthetic photos and cute montage videos of herself to upload on social media. Social media was not a new concept to her, which was depicted by her 150k Instagram followers and 300k youtube subscribers.  A big reason why she is so inspiring to her followers is she has no external flaws. Her long eyelashes bat over her dark brown eyes. Her skin glows effortlessly. Her soft brown hair sits in the middle part and falls just below her collarbone. Having braces in 5th and 6th grade paid off because she has the most perfect smile.  She has an athletic build due to her love for distance running. The biggest thing that makes Logan who she is is her fashion style. She is a trendsetter. Everything she wears looks cute on her. The way she dresses, one would think she grew up in LA. Seeing Logan without jewelry on would be as rare as winning the lottery. Needless to say, nearly every boy looked at her through googly eyes.  To Logan, it was not about the number of followers on social media she had. It was merely about the happiness she found through expressing her style through photos and personality in videos.

Logan received countless direct message per day on all her social media accounts.  It was hard to keep up with the overwhelming amount. Logan was quick to investigate when she saw someone with 1.2 million Instagram followers reached out to her.  

The message read “Hey Logan!! I'm Ella and I just tell you that you are absolutely stunning and your videos are so unique and creative.  It seems like we have a lot in common, and I just wanted to float the idea of maybe meeting up to do a collab?? I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida right by the ocean.  I know tons of cool places to take pictures and I'm sure we could come up with some great YouTube video ideas”. Logan was absolutely shocked that someone this popular would reach out to her, let alone want to make a video with her.

  Logan's fingers shook in excitement as she typed back “Hi!  thanks for reaching out to me! I have been one of your followers for a long time now and have always loved your work. Doing a collab sounds like a great idea!”  After the girls continued to talk for a few weeks through social media. They got along so well, it seemed like they had known each other since they were little.  Ellie asked Logan if would want to fly down to Florida for her spring break coming up so that the girls can meet in person for the first time. Logan was so excited she could barely breathe.  Logan hopes on her MacBook to search for flights from Wisconsin to Florida. She was a little worried when she saw how expensive the flights would be since it was during spring break plus it was only a week away.  Logan assured herself it would be worth the cost. Before booking the flight, she wanted to ask her parents for permission. When Logan first proposed the idea, they were hesitant. They questioned Logan, but she seemed to have every answer and know every little detail about Ella.  Her parents found this very reassuring. They agreed to let her go with one condition. She had to text her parents every hour. She hugged her parents and excitement and said thank you and assured them not to worry. Logan immediately reached for her phone to tell Ella. They started planning what coffee shops, restaurants, and beaches they would visit.

When the morning came for Logan to fly to Florida, her mom insisted on giving her a ride to the airport.  On the drive there, her mom started questioning Logan again.

Logan became irritated with the questioning and blurted out  “Mom I'm 18! Why are you treating me like a baby?”. Her mom sat in silence.  Immediately feeling bad, Logan apologized for being so harsh.

“Mom trust me.  I will be fine. I feel like I have known Ella for forever”.  Logan's mom decided to just to trust her daughter and give up on the argument.   When they arrived at the airport, Logan's mom walked around the car to help get the suitcase out.  The two hugged goodbye and then headed their separate ways. She reassured her mom she would text her when her every hour.  Logan walked in the airport feeling a little nervous since this was the first time she would be flying by herself.

Logan texted Ella “I am getting on the plane right now! I can't wait to see you! I'll text you when I land”.

Ella responded “Yay!  Can't wait to see you! I'll meet you at the airport. Then we can go to the beach!"

She felt the warm humid air hit her skin immediately after getting off the plane.  She was full of excitement to be somewhere warm again. She texted her mom to notify she had landed.  Her mom responded within seconds. Logan called Ella, but she did not pick up. Logan sent her text to let her know she had arrived.  Ten minutes had gone by and Logan had not heard back. Logan got a coffee while she waited to hear back from Ella. Logan had been at the airport for about an hour now and still have not heard from Ella.   She began started to feel nervous. Logan told herself that Ella probably just fell asleep. Then two hours have gone by. Logan continued to convince herself Ella was coming. Logan suddenly remembered that Ella had sent her address one time.  She decided to take a taxi to Ella’s house. After an awkward 35 minute drive, she arrived at Ella’s house. It was exactly what she expected it to look like; large, fancy, modern, and yet look like a dreamy beach house. Logan had still not heard back from Ella but decided to proceed.  She hesitantly walked up to the front door with her extensively packed suitcase behind her. She reached her index finger out to push the doorbell. It took a couple of seconds hovering over the doorbell before finding the courage to press it. The few seconds the doorbell rang felt like forever.  There was no answer. She rang the doorbell again. This time an old man came to the door.

Logan's voice shook “Hi I’m Logan!  I'm looking for my friend, Ella. Is she here?”

The old man smiled. “Yes! I'm her grandpa! She told me you would be coming!”.  

His face changed to a state of worry. “Where is she??” Logan was as clueless as he was.   He invited Logan in so that they could call Ella to find out where she was. the first in Logan noticed was all the blinds were shut and he immediately locks the door behind him.   Immediately became alarmed but followed him as he leads her to the couch. He sat across the room in an old recliner. The old man pulled his phone out and looked as if he was dialing Ella.  

He snarled “Stupid cell phone! Why won’t you work!?”.   He asked Logan to call Ella off of her phone. Logan dialed Ellas number like she had many times within the past couple hours.  Logan was surprised to hear a phone ringing. The ringing was coming from the phone in the old man's hand. He picked up.

He changed his voice to a high feminine sound. “Hello, Logan! It’s Ella, I have been waiting for you”.  Logan screamed at the top of her lungs in terror. The old man became to hobble towards Logan. Logan sprinted towards him meeting him in the middle.   Logan used al 130 pounds of her to kick, punch, and scratch him. The man fought back, but he was fragile in his old age. Logan was able to get the old man on the floor and run for the door.  He chased after her but her youth outran him. She had left everything inside. Tears streaming down her face as she ran as far as she could. She was unfamiliar with this area and had none of her belongings.  The last thing she wanted to do after that, was talking to another stranger. This time she picked a mother on a walk with her two children. Logan approached them a desperately. She explained what had happened and that she was fearful.  The woman gave her a hug and reassured her that everything would be okay. The woman took Logan back to her house where she let Logan borrow the phone. Logan’s as hesitant to call her parents because she knew she was about to get the infamous 'I told you' speech.  She knew she needed them though. Logan was in tears.

Mom I need help.”  Her mom fell into tears.  Logan told her what she had happened.  

"Logan I love you. Stay right where you are. I am coming to get you."   Logan’s mom got to the airport as fast as possible. She nudged to the front of every line.  Luckily there was one flight down to Florida. The ticket was very expensive, but that did not matter at that moment.  Four hours later Logan and her mom were reunited. They hugged and cried. Logan finally felt safe again.