Level | Teen Ink

Level

By nelly212 BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
nelly212 BRONZE, Huntington Park, California

Great, just great.
I forgot my wallet.
Now I’m stuck wandering around New York with no way of returning to my hotel room soon. I looked up and decided to stare at the stars and perhaps see a sign, anything that would help me out. But just my luck I couldn’t see anything thanks to the lights that light up New York.
I let out a sigh and huddled into my parka thanking God that I decided to dress warm just in case. I turned my head and saw a girl standing near me on the street staring at a huge billboard with some half naked girl advertising beer. She cocked her head to the side and smiled. She looked relatively normal. She had on a sweater that didn’t seem to be actually warm, some jeans, and mittens.
I sighed again and decided to hell with it, I’d rather take my chances with a crazy girl than spend the night on the street. I walked over to her quickly and coughed to gain her attention.
She quickly turned and assessed me. Her eyes were stuck on my parka and I was getting restless since she kept on staring at me. I coughed again and this time her eyes flew to my face.
“Umm, yeah I kinda need help. Would you mind helping me?” I tried asking in my kindest voice.
She kept on looking at me and then she asked me a question. “Don’t I know you from somewhere?”
I turned my head toward the wall where the poster for my new movie was pasted on. I stared at my straightened brown hair covering my grey eyes and my arms crossing over my chest with my legs spread apart, trying to do a dramatic pose but in the end it just came out looking weird. I turned to look at the girl and she kept on staring at the poster.

“Oh.” Was all she said. I decided to take a closer look at the girl; she had really light reddish brown hair and the bluest eyes I have ever seen.
“So will you help me?” I wanted her attention as soon as possible.
“Huh? Oh yeah, well I’ll help any way I can I guess.” She replied. I walked closer to her and I couldn’t help but notice that she was just shorter than me. I was getting close to six feet meaning she must be close to 5’6.
“Yeah can you help me find my hotel?” I asked.
“Which one is it?” She asked herself.
I told her and she nodded and headed toward the direction that I hoped was the hotel. A few minutes later I was in front of the hotel I was currently staying at. I looked at the girl again and it seemed as if she might be around my age, like sixteen or seventeen.
“Thank you for bringing me here I truly appreciate it.” She smiled at me. Then I remembered what my manager told me what to do in case a thing like this happens. I remembered her advice and I looked at this smiling girl and didn’t want to follow the advice anymore. But I had to in order for nothing bad that would actually happen to me.
“Yeah well thank you but the thing is I kind of can’t repay you because the thing is that well you’re not in my level so I’m sorry but I can’t do anything to repay you.” My words were kind of scrambled but hopefully I got my point across.
My point was noticed because her smile quickly faded from her face. And then suddenly she was laughing.
“Oh that’s just too funny.” She kept on laughing at me and shaking her head. Her cheeks were getting really pink and then she was walking away from me but her laughter was still audible. I just shook my head in wonder and walked towards my hotel suite in order to get ready for the ball that the hotel was hosting in honor of its guests.
I just want to go to sleep.
*
*
*
I sighed again as I fingered the collar of my suit. I looked over to where the other teen idols such as myself were located and I found it amusing that all the different groups were huddled together, such as the big name actors in one corner, the rich kids in the other corner they were speaking softly in order not to make themselves look like fools.
I yawned and sat down at one of the tables and a fellow teen idol sat next to me.
“Hey how are you coping? I can’t deal with these types of things but my manager says it’s good for publicity.” I remembered I did a few scenes with him.
“I’m okay.” I was still bored but at least I wasn’t alone. In the corner of my eye I thought I saw the girl that had saved me but she looked different. She was wearing a type of dress that slinky and sexy and made me believe that it wasn’t her. The room was actually pretty warm so I could understand why she wore that dress.
But the thing that bothered me was why she was here. I knew it was her because the truth was that I saw her eyes when she turned around to scan the room. I saw her eyes and they were the exact same shade of blue that I had seen earlier. Except this time her eyes seem empty even though she was smiling and laughing.
“Hey do you know that girl over there?” I pointed to the direction of the girl who saved me. The fellow teen idol looked over to the direction I pointed to and raised his eyebrow at me.
“You mean the girl in the hot dress right?” I nodded my head in agreement.
He shook his head at me. “Dude, don’t even try it. You have no chance.”
My ears perked up when he stated this. “Why not?” My ego was actually bruised because I actually thought that I could get almost any girl of I tried.
“Don’t get offended but you’re not in her league. I’m actually surprised you don’t know her. Her father is one of the richest men in the world. He owns the chain of these types of hotels. Hell he owns this hotel.” I stared at the girl in awe.
“But the thing is what makes her so special is that she is the rightful heir to her father’s fortune even though she was an illegitimate child. She became the rightful heir when her father’s wife and children died in a tragic airplane crash. Her father needed an heir and scouted her out. She has everything but because she has to take over for her father she was taken from her mother and being prepped. She can’t see her mom anymore but her mom is living an okay life.” I looked at the guy and surprised was etched over my face.
“How do you know this?” I was speechless at his explanation.
“The internet.” He shrugged. “Anyway like I said you have no chance because to even go near her you have to be in the same level as her.” The guy stood up and grabbed a glass of champagne from a passing waiter. “Well I’ll see you later.” He winked at me and left.
I turned to stare at the girl and could feel her radiate a sadness and loneliness that somehow had eluded me before.
And then it struck me.
She wasn’t laughing because she wasn’t in my level, but because I was nowhere near hers.