Moon | Teen Ink

Moon

By cdanehy23 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
cdanehy23 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon

I lie in bed as the alarm clock concludes its first hour of torturing me. The blaring red numbers continue their taunting. Night outside passes, refusing to take me with it. I sit up, causing the bed frame to groan. Opening the window behind my bed, I lean on the bottom of the frame, the midnight breeze flowing past me into the room. Bits of moonlight illuminate the dark space a little, despite clouds blocking the view of anyone who happens to be down below.

A couple walks into the light given by the posts that line the streets. The woman trails slightly behind the man, causing him to look behind him every few seconds to make sure she is still there despite holding hands. A wave of deja vu hits me, the sound of her running to catch up to me despite the loud hallway of the school. “Sammy, guess what,” She said happily, walking slightly behind me due to the crowded space. 

“Hmm… what is it?” I replied without looking back, having recognized the sound of her run and the melody of her voice over the last five years.

“We’re dating!” She shouted gleefully, I broke off at the nearest side hall and turned around. Her footsteps stopped behind mine, arm wrapped around his. “So,” She started with a smile almost as bright as her. “What do you think?” It shocked me, felt as though a ghost had traveled up my spine.

I shiver as a cold gust of wind hurries past me. How does she not understand? Why does she believe him? That jerk. What has he done for her What can he do that I can’t? My phone’s notification sound goes off as I tear it from the charger. Nothing interesting, just a homework reminder. Opening my messages, the bubble sent hours ago remains unread.

She glanced at me from across the classroom without her boyfriend sitting next to her, indicating she had received my message. Opening it, her fingers started to type only to be interrupted by him taking away the phone and pointing to the board, intending for her to ‘work’ instead. It was obvious he knew what was happening and didn’t want her to reply to me. I shot him a glare but was left cold. Her unconcerned mind brushed off yet another of his domineering actions. However, the corner of the paper reacted to her rough breath, revealing bits of hidden tension. The situation remained unnoticed in the end. 

Getting back in bed, I cover my head with the sheets to block the numbers bearing an even later time. Moonlight starts peaking through the clouds, showing itself even more despite still being partially covered. I’d rather sleep. Why the hell am I still thinking about this? I shut my eyes tight. Tight enough to see stars form in the pitch black nothingness. Wishing my ears could do the same, her voice rings in my thoughts.

“Sammy… I can’t-” She said to break the silence, tears welled in her glass eyes. We hadn’t seen one another for weeks. Lunch and weekend afternoons used to be our thing, now she would spend all her time with him. More realistically, he spent all his free time with her. 

“Why don’t you get it?” I asked, ashamed, since I was the one who approached her yet she felt she was the one who had to say something. “He’s taking over your life, blinding you from the things you used to love. Can’t you see? I’m your true lover, I’ve been by your side this whole time.” Sighing, she backed off and looked at me. Hurt. “Fine, you can go back if you want. Back to your new life, to him.”

A moment of hesitation. Yet she whispered, ‘Sorry,’ ever so quietly as she turned away. Her figure disappeared around a corner, leaving me stranded in the empty hallway.

Bitch.

The quiet room fills with light and sound as vast clouds are swept away by cool air, the street below empty and quiet yet with a loud demeanor from the unseen life. ‘Why’ lingers on. Why are you so stupid? Why do you believe him? Why does he have what I don’t? Questions without answers pestering me throughout this endless night. I type something on my phone before returning it to the charger and closing my eyes for the final time before morning. 

Will you come back?

This ficitonal short story is inspired by the song 'Moon' by Woosung. It is about a boy who longs for a girl, but she doesn't realize his intentions. Overthinking the situation, he goes through different emotions. These lead him to a better understanding of both their relationship and himself.