The Boy of Apathy | Teen Ink

The Boy of Apathy

October 30, 2019
By Anonymous

A boy came out of the shadows. He took out his ear buds from his left pocket and blasted the music. Everything the boy was wearing was dark. The sun was sizzling him crisp like a toaster, as he slowly walked down the sidewalk. He checked his messages, and saw many voicemails from his mother. His ring-tone goes off as his mother tries once again, but the boy rejects her for another time. As he walked further down the road, he sees a dirty, old man. As the man raises his rusty tin cup, the coins inside rattle and rub against the metal. The boy looked at him and said that he didn’t have any spare change on him, and then continued down the road. Down the sidewalk, there was a store getting robbed. There were many men in black clothing with ski masks jumping out of a big white, scratched up van. The boy avoided the matter completely, because on the other side of the road was his desired designation. His blood pressure rises as his eagerness and hopefulness becomes insurmountable. He then starts walking towards it by crossing the street. A bright, red, and blue light starts blinking right in front of the boy. Crash!


The author's comments:

I am trying to work on third person and description. I address my characters as boy and man. What I’m trying to do is to paint a picture for my audience as they listen to my set piece. What I liked about it is how I almost incorporated each sentence of the story with details.