early hours | Teen Ink

early hours

Walking down these halls on a cold, mid-fall morning, you feel like a ghost. The echoes of distant conversations among teachers that don’t even know you’re there. Believe it or not, this is my favorite time to be at school. It’s not that I don't have friends or I don’t have anything better to do, I just find comfort in my thoughts, and mornings like that provide that. I hear footsteps and relocate myself out of my thoughts and back to the school campus. Chills roll down my neck and through my spine. I forgot how cold it was. To my left, a teacher turns a corner and looks at me and gradually increases their speed. As if it were wrong to interact with a student before school hours. It didn’t matter anyway. I was dedicated to my zone-out sesh, only I couldn’t even remember what I was thinking about. I hear more footsteps approaching and I reach into my bag for a distraction. I conveniently pulled out the book I’ve been reading. Although I couldn’t focus now. My eyes were running past the words on each page, but what were they saying?

Pursuit: For this set piece I wanted to work on the description as well as connecting the piece with the reader. I’m currently reading a Stephen King book, and I wanted to write a descriptive piece that makes the reader relate in a way they usually don’t. What I like about my piece is how it brings me to that moment and I can picture everything that’s going on.