Nature's Reign | Teen Ink

Nature's Reign

By KayleP BRONZE, New City, New York
KayleP BRONZE, New City, New York

The pitter-patter of rain dropping on the roof creates a calm symphony that allows my eyelids to close and focus on the sounds of nature. My muscles begin to loosen in the soft chair on my porch as the birds' tweets ever so often. The state of relaxation comes over me at the time that I hear a car splash through the small potholes that are now filled with water. By now, a slight gentle breeze whistles through the mixture of gas that we call air. As I'm deep in my thoughts one idea was brought to my attention, it was about how the weather app I looked at yesterday lied to me. At that moment, my eyes opened.

Being brought back to my sense of sight, I saw the millions of water droplets consume the surface of the earth. I observed the multicolored leaves fall to the ground and how the rain made them stick on the floor like glue. Oh how badly I wanted to peel them. As I tried to do so, the cold, wet rain massaged my hand, and just like that, memories of my childhood came flooding through my brain on how I pretended I could bend water with my mind. I was interrupted by the sound of rain tapping harder on my roof as time went by. I looked up and noticed the clouds racing through the sky varying in sizes and how they covered the UV rays of the sun. No sunlight peeked through the heavy, shady clouds. My eyes were brought back down to the horizon and the sight of a bunny trying to seek shelter crossed my view. The look of its damp fur reminded me of a spikey hedgehog. By then, I too was seeking the warmth of my home from this brittle wind. As I was entering the doorway I can differentiate the smell of muddy grass and clean wooden floor. The smell of nature didn't really occur to me until then.